Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki EX400HJF Ninja, 2020 Kawasaki Z400
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Northern Virginia! Looking for a small sporty bike, I could not decide between the Ninja 400 and the Z400. Three weeks ago, I ran across an incredible two-fer deal on some non-current models, so I ended up buying one of each - a 2020 EX400HLF (non-ABS) in Pearl Blizzard White, and a 2020 Z400 in metallic black (although Kawasaki calls it "grey"). The Ninja will eventually become a track-day bike, and the Z will be my medium-distance and around-town putter. I hope to gain some useful info from this forum, as it seems to attract knowledgeable people with a wide scope of experience. After a while, perhaps, I hope to be able to contribute some useful info. I would like so seek your opinion if I am in the right forum, as I own both the N400 and the Z400. Should I be in the Z400 forum? Thank you for any responses. Ride on!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Greetings!

I’d say which forum you post in is more about the content than what you own. I have a Ninja 400 but I’ve posted in most of the forums here, any time I think I can contribute to the discussion (sometimes I probably even do). I usually skim the new posts and don’t pay attention to which forum I- or the posts I’m reading- are in.

So long as the content is in the right forum (e.g. Z talk is discussed in the Z forum), should be golden.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Welcome! Most of the substantive stuff is the same for both the N400 and Z400; brakes, clutch, engine, exhaust, etc. So simply try to post in the appropriate place for the specific topics. But everyone's welcome everywhere. Well, almost. There was this guy who tried to convince everyone that we needed to adjust our non-adjustable stock shock. ;) That's just wrong no matter which bike you have. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
38 Posts
Welcome, hello here from Illinois!

Z400 vs the Ninja 400:

Z400:
Cheaper, less forward-biased stance, and no fairings to take off. Might be a little more comfortable for some people due to the less sporty stance and handlebars, but some taller riders claim the side shrouds dig into the knees. Some like the handlebars vs clip ons on the Ninja 400. Very slightly lighter.

Ninja 400: More wind protection and better for windy days, highways, and expressways due to the fairings and windscreen. Better for track days, and will outrun a Z400 in the mid to higher RPM range but not off the line. Slightly better fuel economy, but great on both the N400 and Z400. Some prefer the analog style gauges on the N400 compared to the Z400, the Z400 has a different setup but relays the same information in a more digital style. Not all mods work with the Z400 due to the design difference.

Everything else is preference. Looks, naked vs. fairings and windscreen, it is purely what suits you better. I much prefer the N400 (why I got mine), but there are those who like the Z400 better.

The great part? You cannot go wrong with either, I suggest you sit on them and really look at them to decide.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I can't imagine what's in "Z Talk" except for bars/mirrors and lights/plastic. Everything else the Z has is the same. Maybe slightly bigger rear sprocket, just guessing.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Whaaat??!! If that is true then how come the red ones get the most traffic citations? Wait!! Now your going to tell me black is stealthy. HA
🐉

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Whaaat??!! If that is true then how come the red ones get the most traffic citations? Wait!! Now your going to tell me black is stealthy. HA
🐉
Well ... that was my argument back when I had a red Ninja! :LOL:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Oh yeah. I remember the pics you posted of it. Any tickets on it? I've had one since I bought the Z
🐉

·
Registered
19 Posts
Main difference is riding position and weight because of the fairings. I own a 2020 z400 and love it. Canyon carving fun, perfect amount of power to fun ratio...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I totally agree! The fairings are why the Z is a little faster. Just a little..got back about an hour ago from a 90 mi run through the mountains after work..love it
🐉

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Oh yeah. I remember the pics you posted of it. Any tickets on it? I've had one since I bought the Z
🐉
Weirdly, no. And LEOs have seen me doing a bit over what's usually safe a few times as well. I've attributed that primarily to wearing a helmet in a state (ND) without an adult helmet requirement. But that might just be make-believe.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You project a responsible and mature mindset when wearing a helmet not required by law. Ive noticed cops look at me a lot less closely on my other bike with a largish windscreen and luggage. Oh and a stock pipe on it makes a difference too
🐉

1 - 18 of 18 Posts