Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

alternative to Rear stands?

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  JFMNINJA400 
#1 ·
Hi, as a new rider, I'm hoping to change oil/ and clean/lube the chain on my own.
I live in a studio apt. and was looking to use this to lift up the bike for cleaning the chain?

For oil change, can I just do it on the sidestand and hold the bike to straight for a minute or two to get the old oil out?

besides being low cost, I also like that these two are pretty small. Anyone have experience using these w/ ninja 400? Thanks so much.

#2 ·
For oil change on the side stand would get more oil out of it I would think and no need to stand it back up. The drain plug is located on the same side as the stand, so while on the stand the oil will be pouring that direction naturally due to leaning that way.

Easier for me to change oil on a rear stand though, but that is just what I am use to.

I personaly have no experience with these, but with 2 stroke race bikes we used much larger versions to start them ?

I would not see why that would not work for a chain lube and clean......seems like it would be great for adventure riders and long distance travels to do any kind of work with the chain or sprockets on the side of the road

#3 ·
I had the Harbor Freight version years ago for my Ninja 250r and never really like it. Takes a lot of effort to turn the back wheel. Letting the engine do the work is too dangerous. I then used a home made snapjack which works pretty good. Made it with a door hinge and two pieces of 2x4 with a V cut on top one.
Then I went to auto chain lube and no longer had to deal with that.

#5 ·
yeah, my apt's tight and I'm not sure about a stand that I'd only use every other month (600 miles). Also when I look at some of the vids, it looks like it's safer to have a spotter to keep the bike upright to move it onto the stand whereas I'll be doing this solo. That being said, I'm open to suggestions/tips.

#16 ·
I have a front and rear Pitbull stand. However, I have 2 Pit Posse rear stands. It has 4 wheels and is very sturdy. I got the Pit Posse rear stand for around 55 bucks! It picks up my 750, 600 or 400 with no problem! I have had the Pitbull set for over 10 years awesome set. If you are on a budget, the Pit Posse rear stand is an excellent choice!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.