Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as a new rider, I'm hoping to change oil/ and clean/lube the chain on my own.
I live in a studio apt. and was looking to use this to lift up the bike for cleaning the chain?

For oil change, can I just do it on the sidestand and hold the bike to straight for a minute or two to get the old oil out?

besides being low cost, I also like that these two are pretty small. Anyone have experience using these w/ ninja 400? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi, as a new rider, I'm hoping to change oil/ and clean/lube the chain on my own.
I live in a studio apt. and was looking to use this to lift up the bike for cleaning the chain?

For oil change, can I just do it on the sidestand and hold the bike to straight for a minute or two to get the old oil out?

besides being low cost, I also like that these two are pretty small. Anyone have experience using these w/ ninja 400? Thanks so much.

For oil change on the side stand would get more oil out of it I would think and no need to stand it back up. The drain plug is located on the same side as the stand, so while on the stand the oil will be pouring that direction naturally due to leaning that way.

Easier for me to change oil on a rear stand though, but that is just what I am use to.

I personaly have no experience with these, but with 2 stroke race bikes we used much larger versions to start them ?

I would not see why that would not work for a chain lube and clean......seems like it would be great for adventure riders and long distance travels to do any kind of work with the chain or sprockets on the side of the road

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the Harbor Freight version years ago for my Ninja 250r and never really like it. Takes a lot of effort to turn the back wheel. Letting the engine do the work is too dangerous. I then used a home made snapjack which works pretty good. Made it with a door hinge and two pieces of 2x4 with a V cut on top one.
Then I went to auto chain lube and no longer had to deal with that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are you telling us that you don't have room for paddock stands of some sorts?
yeah, my apt's tight and I'm not sure about a stand that I'd only use every other month (600 miles). Also when I look at some of the vids, it looks like it's safer to have a spotter to keep the bike upright to move it onto the stand whereas I'll be doing this solo. That being said, I'm open to suggestions/tips.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
yeah, my apt's tight and I'm not sure about a stand that I'd only use every other month (600 miles). Also when I look at some of the vids, it looks like it's safer to have a spotter to keep the bike upright to move it onto the stand whereas I'll be doing this solo. That being said, I'm open to suggestions/tips.
On a bike with a kickstand and decent swingarm spools you can one person all day long a rear stand.
It is when you have a race bike with no kickstand that it becomes a little bit of a challenge, but you can still do it fairly easy with careful planning and stand placement when you bring the bike to a stop.

·
Registered
715 Posts
On a bike with a kickstand and decent swingarm spools you can one person all day long a rear stand.
It is when you have a race bike with no kickstand that it becomes a little bit of a challenge, but you can still do it fairly easy with careful planning and stand placement when you bring the bike to a stop.
So much for my careful planning. Never did get the knack of that. Now you tell me to come to a Stop, first.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Lol..........what?!?! I know you are joking.
Yeah you have to come to a complete stop first............
You've been on the Forum long enough to know.. Sometimes we have to be able to laugh at ourselves. Yes, I was joking. But on any given day, I may not remember where I left my bike keys, or how to sign into this website. So'z, you continue to keep it simple and I'll try to keep up. :whistle:

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
... It is when you have a race bike with no kickstand that it becomes a little bit of a challenge, but you can still do it fairly easy with careful planning and stand placement when you bring the bike to a stop.
Oh yeah, that's me regularly. Generally around home when there's only the cat to holler out to. I get caught hanging onto the race bike with nothing good to lean it against. Got to be one of the worst features of a race bike.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I've raised bikes on rear stands and taken them off thousands of times with no issues. You certainly don't need a spotter. It's a light bike. If it was a 800-lb bike, then yeah that might be more difficult, but with sport bikes it's easy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've raised bikes on rear stands and taken them off thousands of times with no issues. You certainly don't need a spotter. It's a light bike. If it was a 800-lb bike, then yeah that might be more difficult, but with sport bikes it's easy.
which stand do you use? I'll see if I can check it out?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
which stand do you use? I'll see if I can check it out?
I've used a few kinds, but Pitbulls are my choice now. Only ones I've ever had trouble with are the cheap ones like Venom or whatever that brand is. I had a set of those and almost dropped my bike twice because of them. In the trash they went then. Pitbull, Vortex, Woodcraft, etc. are all good options.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a front and rear Pitbull stand. However, I have 2 Pit Posse rear stands. It has 4 wheels and is very sturdy. I got the Pit Posse rear stand for around 55 bucks! It picks up my 750, 600 or 400 with no problem! I have had the Pitbull set for over 10 years awesome set. If you are on a budget, the Pit Posse rear stand is an excellent choice!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a front and rear Pitbull stand. However, I have 2 Pit Posse rear stands. It has 4 wheels and is very sturdy. I got the Pit Posse rear stand for around 55 bucks! It picks up my 750, 600 or 400 with no problem! I have had the Pitbull set for over 10 years awesome set. If you are on a budget, the Pit Posse rear stand is an excellent choice!
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you put the bike on the stand w/out needing a spotter? (I'm 6' 195# but not too eager about catching a falling bike)
Do you need anything special for pit posse stand to hook up the 400?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you put the bike on the stand w/out needing a spotter? (I'm 6' 195# but not too eager about catching a falling bike)
Do you need anything special for pit posse stand to hook up the 400?
YES, I have been using rear stands for over 20 years. I put my bikes on the rear stands 99% of the time ALONE. You don’t have to be strong, leverage does all the work. The Pitbull and Pit Posse rear stands are adjustable. Once you have it adjusted to fit your bike it’s super easy. You need swing arm spools for both. However, the Pit Posse does both, with spools or right on the swing arm. I suggest spools, more secure and you don’t have to worry about scratching your swing arm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts