Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although, this jacket fits me, it is a bit tight in the chest area. This is a constant issue with women’s moto jackets. I prefer a tight fit in gear as I want it tight as a glove so that it won’t move around if I have a tumble. However, jackets are always a bit uncomfortable in the bust area. I decided to make use of the extra waterproofing fabric inside this jacket in order to make a velcro closure. This closure serves multiple purposes: 1.) provides additional room in the entire jacket for a more relaxed fit. 2.) allows for an easier zipped closure. 3.) provides more versatility and waterproof protection when used in combination with the zipped closure. As far as the velcro providing protection...I think it will not come apart upon regular movement, but ofc it is not superior protection because the waterproof material is exposed. The integrity of the jacket is not compromised as the zipping mechanism still is functional. The velcro is sewn on.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nice work! Give those puppies some room to breathe without affecting the integrity of the closure. Great idea and execution.

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Registered
126 Posts
very nice work. i have been thinking about doing this with another zipper half instead of velcro. what do you think?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work! Give those puppies some room to breathe without affecting the integrity of the closure. Great idea and execution.
Thanks! Yes, it doesn't make any sense how small they make the chest area on these jackets! I legit have to go 2 sizes larger to make room but once I do that, the jackets fit me like a tent. IDK who they have designing women's clothing, but they need to understand how we are shaped. We are NOT shaped the same...and definitely not like men.

You should look at a sideline job doing clothing mods. Could be good beer money! :giggle:
Haha...yea I was thinking about it!

very nice work. i have been thinking about doing this with another zipper half instead of velcro. what do you think?
I think it could work. Idk how much room you'll have though if you have the zipper underneath the original zipper. I'd have to see the jacket. Can you post a pic of it? I also thought about having a double zipper underneath, but I still wanted to be able to use my original zipper. The issue with this was, there wasn't enough room to close. So velcro worked perfectly because it's flat and my original zipper can function right on top.

That's my concern with the double zipper idea. However, let's see it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks! Yes, it doesn't make any sense how small they make the chest area on these jackets! I legit have to go 2 sizes larger to make room but once I do that, the jackets fit me like a tent. IDK who they have designing women's clothing, but they need to understand how we are shaped. We are NOT shaped the same...and definitely not like men.

I think it could work. Idk how much room you'll have though if you have the zipper underneath the original zipper. I'd have to see the jacket. Can you post a pic of it? I also thought about having a double zipper underneath, but I still wanted to be able to use my original zipper. The issue with this was, there wasn't enough room to close. So velcro worked perfectly because it's flat and my original zipper can function right on top.

the other zipper half would be in place of the velcro. each side of the cloth center piece would zip into one side or the other of the coat. posting a pic is way over my head. i haven't done it yet, just been thinking about it. it's for a hunting jacket that fit 20 yrs ago.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the other zipper half would be in place of the velcro. each side of the cloth center piece would zip into one side or the other of the coat. posting a pic is way over my head. i haven't done it yet, just been thinking about it. it's for a hunting jacket that fit 20 yrs ago.
Okay... I see what you mean. However, if you have extra zippers, you should try to just place them on the extra pieces of fabric. If the original zipper doesn't have to zip over what you will be sewing, then you're good to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Most of this stuff is designed for the Asian market. Hence the smaller sizes. I’m not a big guy at all and I have to order a size larger on most stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts