Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was coming into a left hand turn at a green light, and I can’t say I was coming in too hot because I think any experienced rider would have easily been able to make the turn, but more so I had decided to slightly test myself and come into it at a slightly higher speed than I was used to. It didn’t work out so well, as I wasn’t able to turn into it enough (or so I had thought), and in the split second I guess I panicked, target fixed for a split second on the side of the right lane with gravel and a ditch, and veered into that direction. Somehow I was able to maintain control, ride it out over the gravel, and bounce my bike upright over this small ditch with no harm done.

That was a good learning experience...

I have always respected how the simplest things you can do on the road, are much more intricate while riding a motorcycle. I think I just needed a plan. I was more focused on my present location than I was focused on the turn and where I was going.

Right after that happened I went to a huge empty parking lot and for 30 minutes practiced figure eights, throttle control, and leaning the bike over.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was coming into a left hand turn at a green light, and I can’t say I was coming in too hot because I think any experienced rider would have easily been able to make the turn, but more so I had decided to slightly test myself and come into it at a slightly higher speed than I was used to. It didn’t work out so well, as I wasn’t able to turn into it enough (or so I had thought), and in the split second I guess I panicked, target fixed for a split second on the side of the right lane with gravel and a ditch, and veered into that direction. Somehow I was able to maintain control, ride it out over the gravel, and bounce my bike upright over this small ditch with no harm done.

That was a good learning experience...

I have always respected how the simplest things you can do on the road, are much more intricate while riding a motorcycle. I think I just needed a plan. I was more focused on my present location than I was focused on the turn and where I was going.

Right after that happened I went to a huge empty parking lot and for 30 minutes practiced figure eights, throttle control, and leaning the bike over.
Good thinking man glad to hear your taking time to practice, you saved your self big time there - Keep in mind anytime your riding on new tires they have to break-in too and are slick, even after break-in 60-100 miles the area of the tire that haven't hit the pavement wont grab as well...

Next pay attention to the road your on is it old and reflective, cement or asphalt - if it is smooth looking or reflective your traction is lessened - If you pull into a parking spot and your tire sits in oil it can take a bit to wear off.

The tires that come with your bike are just ok tires.

You can corner the same street every day at 25 miles an hour, till one day a car in summer over heats and lays down some antifreeze... your going down..!

Streets aren't well cared for race tracks - there are liquids hazards every where.

New People / Riders keep pictures cemented in there heads of these bikes leaning over effortlessly taking corners on race tracks, and translate it onto public roads. You will also see amazing videos of skilled rider doing high speed cornering passing cars - lol for every 1 of those videos there are 12 more videos of new riders trying the very same thing that end up in videos with really catchy caption - Look he really can fly..! Rider goes sky diving without a parachute..! you get the point.

If you want to be riding for the next 50 years take your time learn how to ride the bike safely, take corners only as fast as your positive wont be an issue.

Right after it starts raining oil get raised to the surface of the roadway making it slippery - after a hour or so most the oil has washed away and the street will be less slippery ( really applies to area that get little rain ).

Point is there is lots to learn man and it can take years and a few bumps and bruises be for you really get it - wait till you hit sand on the road going around a curve.. theres always something you haven't thought of - the slower you go into a corner the better your chances - Never break while leaning, quickly bring the bike upright then break, kinda like I bet your did in your near miss.

You have your whole life to learn and ride - guessing how far you can lean on a bike is just dangerous, Its always best to error on the side of caution while you are learning, Don't over do your figure 8's fast or the bike can eject you..! always remember the only chance you have to slow down is before the turn.

All this will over time become 2nd nature - but it takes a long time, and if you go at a slow pace one where you leave your self plenty of reaction time you will find you become a better rider without even realizing it. Stay safe man.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
The bit where you said you went through a small ditch gave me a chuckle as I remember doing the same thing in my first few months of road bike ownership.
I had previously only ridden flickable dirt bikes and came into this corner way too hot for my limited experience in hustling four cylinder machines through bends.
I decided to bail out of the maneuver and my escape route was through a not so small ditch that saw me airborne coming out the other side of it, then burst through a selection of shrubs and into the carpark of a cafe. Luckily no one was parked in 'my spot'.
Ha ha, can laugh about it now 30 years on. :smile_big:

Glad you kept your bike upright and both you and machine came away unscathed. More experience gained!

·
Registered
211 Posts
On my way home from the dealer with my N400 I took a corner a little too quick and went right off the side of the road. Luckily there was no curb and I didn't freak out and just got myself together and came right back on the road from the grass/gravel made my heart race a little.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The bit where you said you went through a small ditch gave me a chuckle as I remember doing the same thing in my first few months of road bike ownership.
I had previously only ridden flickable dirt bikes and came into this corner way too hot for my limited experience in hustling four cylinder machines through bends.
I decided to bail out of the maneuver and my escape route was through a not so small ditch that saw me airborne coming out the other side of it, then burst through a selection of shrubs and into the carpark of a cafe. Luckily no one was parked in 'my spot'.
Ha ha, can laugh about it now 30 years on. :smile_big:

Glad you kept your bike upright and both you and machine came away unscathed. More experience gained!
Oh you are funny!!

I did get a heart palpitation after a left handed "Rossi" on semi cold tires

My front end lost traction for a mili sec..then re-hooked.

Warm up those tires if you are thinking about being adventurous.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I did get a heart palpitation after a left handed "Rossi" on semi cold tires

My front end lost traction for a mili sec..then re-hooked.

Warm up those tires if you are thinking about being adventurous.
Good advice. You got the re-hook luckily, not so often you get the second chance with the front end slide eh.
Unless your Marc 'master of the save' Marquez of course. :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts