Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KRT Ninja 400 ABS
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an airhawk seat cushion for now. Since Norton has a three to four week back order for their seat
I found the reviews were mixed on Amazon.
My expectations were the following:
1. Relieve some of the sliding into the tank.
2. Stop my butt from getting stock seat overdose.
3. Sit on a soft air cushion compared to petrified foam.
4. Keep the family jewels from overheating due to the vinyl seat.

My conclusion is it does all of the above. I put the bike up on the rear stand and got on the bike.
You have to adjust the amount of air in the cushion. Less air is better. You should be able to lean your butt left or right and the air moves to other pockets. If you feel stock seat when you lean you have let out too much air. The cushion also has nonslip material on the bottom that works well.
It may not be for everyone but I am happy with the AirHawk. After my last ride with the cushion I noticed it was comfortable the whole ride.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I found the AirHawk "Dual Purpose" pad on the stock seat didn't stop me from sliding into the back of the tank. After all, that is due to the slope of the seat and the AirHawk (if properly used with low inflation) doesn't change that.

The seat I had raised/flattened like the Norton seat helps with most of the sliding issue, but the guy (not a rider, just a local upholsterer who does m/c seats but only what he's told to do by the customer) must have used a very stiff foam so after one ride a week ago I put the AirHawk on it yesterday. That improved the hardness of the seat over a 90 minute ride. I don't know that I'd want to ride much longer than that.

But I'm still not thrilled with N400 seating, and a couple days ago I shipped a used seat to a seat builder who is a rider and who has done nothing but build long distance seats for the last couple of decades. That should be done in 3-6 weeks (it is a two person shop and they stay very busy during riding season) and I'm hoping that will be the ultimate solution to the horrible stock seat. I expect that with the used eBay seats for cores and two seats built (and the AirHawk which hopefully will no longer be needed with the next seat) I'll have spent close to $1000.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dayum, doot. $1k on seating? You must reeeeally hate the stock seat, lol. I haven't found it too much of a problem, but then I've only stayed in the saddle about an hour at a time. I'm a small guy, 5'8", 150 lbs., so maybe that has something to do with it. Like, I can only just flatfoot it at the current thickness.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes, the stock seat makes me not want to ride my new bike. I'm 4" taller and 80 pounds heavier than you (I can remember being 165 pounds when I ordered my first set of custom made race leathers back in 1980). Plus, I've got some sort of immune system type of syndrome where my skin is sensitive to pressure, sitting for a long time on a hard surface, leaning against an edge (like the top of a park bench) for 10 minutes or using some wrenches will see raised welts forming or my hands swelling (whatever part of the body saw the stress). My ride to the meet up last Saturday, 40 minutes each way and 40 minutes of chatting, put welts from the redone seat on the "sits bones" that took a day or two to fade away. But my ride yesterday with the Airhawk added to the custom seat was much better, no welts, but 90 minutes straight was about long enough for me.

So if I'm going to ride this bike I've got to have a GOOD seat.

I ordered a Norton seat but was told 4 weeks backorder, and I canceled the order because I didn't want to let the bike sit for four weeks. From the reports the Norton seat might have been fine, but if I can't get one I can't sit on it.

$90 or so on an AirHawk (still pretty hopeless on the stock seat with the sliding in the tank), $80 on two eBay used OEM seats to use as cores, $375 for the local upholstery guy who doesn't ride seat (that looks like the Norton seat) that is too firm for me (it seemed fine on the around the block test before the cover was installed) but seems nicely made and took 3 days turnaround, $10 to ship a core seat to the new seat guy I'll try next, and his base charge on a single seat like that is $350 and it may go up from there depending on what he wants to recommend that he does to it. That puts me at a minimum of $905.

$1000 doesn't look far away. If the new seat is as good as I expect it will be then I can sell the first custom seat and the Airhawk and recoup a bit of money. I'd prefer that Kawasaki just put a better seat on and charge another $50.

cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
240 Posts
The grips don't seem a problem but my leather race gloves have a fair bit of padding. I'll probably have to go to Z400 bars or higher clip-ons to take some weight off my hands as I've been having trouble with numbness in my hands. Getting old can be a PITA!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got an airhawk seat cushion for now. Since Norton has a three to four week back order for their seat
I found the reviews were mixed on Amazon.
My expectations were the following:
1. Relieve some of the sliding into the tank.
2. Stop my butt from getting stock seat overdose.
3. Sit on a soft air cushion compared to petrified foam.
4. Keep the family jewels from overheating due to the vinyl seat.

My conclusion is it does all of the above. I put the bike up on the rear stand and got on the bike.
You have to adjust the amount of air in the cushion. Less air is better. You should be able to lean your butt left or right and the air moves to other pockets. If you feel stock seat when you lean you have let out too much air. The cushion also has nonslip material on the bottom that works well.
It may not be for everyone but I am happy with the AirHawk. After my last ride with the cushion I noticed it was comfortable the whole ride.
What model airhawk cover did you buy. I would like to know what size works best before buying

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I bought the smallest one they had on fleabay a year ago. A Chinese version for my 650. Got a good seat already on my 400. It is WONDERFULL for me. Scoot it up partially on the tank keeps the boys comfy. The. 650 has the same forward slope
🐉

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thats it I think. Dam that was a year ago! And..mine was an import knockoff $35 . Looked in my fleabay history. Still holds air after bout 10k mi. Never have to add to it
🐉

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes, the stock seat makes me not want to ride my new bike. I'm 4" taller and 80 pounds heavier than you (I can remember being 165 pounds when I ordered my first set of custom made race leathers back in 1980). Plus, I've got some sort of immune system type of syndrome where my skin is sensitive to pressure, sitting for a long time on a hard surface, leaning against an edge (like the top of a park bench) for 10 minutes or using some wrenches will see raised welts forming or my hands swelling (whatever part of the body saw the stress). My ride to the meet up last Saturday, 40 minutes each way and 40 minutes of chatting, put welts from the redone seat on the "sits bones" that took a day or two to fade away. But my ride yesterday with the Airhawk added to the custom seat was much better, no welts, but 90 minutes straight was about long enough for me.

So if I'm going to ride this bike I've got to have a GOOD seat.

I ordered a Norton seat but was told 4 weeks backorder, and I canceled the order because I didn't want to let the bike sit for four weeks. From the reports the Norton seat might have been fine, but if I can't get one I can't sit on it.

$90 or so on an AirHawk (still pretty hopeless on the stock seat with the sliding in the tank), $80 on two eBay used OEM seats to use as cores, $375 for the local upholstery guy who doesn't ride seat (that looks like the Norton seat) that is too firm for me (it seemed fine on the around the block test before the cover was installed) but seems nicely made and took 3 days turnaround, $10 to ship a core seat to the new seat guy I'll try next, and his base charge on a single seat like that is $350 and it may go up from there depending on what he wants to recommend that he does to it. That puts me at a minimum of $905.

$1000 doesn't look far away. If the new seat is as good as I expect it will be then I can sell the first custom seat and the Airhawk and recoup a bit of money. I'd prefer that Kawasaki just put a better seat on and charge another $50.

cheers,
Michael
So this is old. But where the heck are you Michael Moore, we miss your long detailed engineering points of view!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts