Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

Registered
Well, maybe I will have to reconsider crashing as I just bought some new gloves as well and it may be worth doing some real-world safety testing! :)

Registered
Now I'm disappointed. I was hoping for one of those videos like a snow skier popping up out of a 3 feet deep avalanche... like an air bubble in a glass of water. Maybe if you get really bored, you can reconsider. ;)
If it is a lanyard type I was thinking tie off to the roof and do a running jump into a pool. If he bobs back up....success!!!
馃悏

Registered
Just saw it yesterday.

As always Ryan did a great job explaining the benefits and what type of technology airbags are using right now.

Registered
If it is a lanyard type I was thinking tie off to the roof and do a running jump into a pool. If he bobs back up....success!!!
馃悏

Well, considering it is sub freezing temperatures here, I would have to break through the ice before seeing if I would float!

Reactions: Tracy and airhead83

Registered
I was looking at getting the Alpinestars tech air vest prior to this current racing season but the sales guy told me to hold off as there's an updated race version on its way with that has the same features as the Tech Air 5 road vest.
I like the fact that you don't have to have their suit to use it and that you can have a spare canister with you in the van to keep you racing after a deployment, assuming yourself and the bike are still operational.

Registered
Tech Air looks like the way you go. I鈥檝e been wearing a Dainese d-air suit for a while now. Love the suit and trust the air bag system they use. Last race I had a pretty simple low side and slide and it deployed the air bag. It did what it was supposed to do but now I鈥檓 screwed. With this suit you get one shot and it has to go back to Dainese to recharge it. Problem is I鈥檝e been trying for two weeks to get Dainese to respond to my requests for help with no luck. So now I鈥檓 forced to pretend I never spent all that money on the latest tech and just use it as a normal leather suit.

For this reason I鈥檒l never invest in the Dainese d-air stuff again.

Registered
Tech Air looks like the way you go. I鈥檝e been wearing a Dainese d-air suit for a while now. Love the suit and trust the air bag system they use. Last race I had a pretty simple low side and slide and it deployed the air bag. It did what it was supposed to do but now I鈥檓 screwed. With this suit you get one shot and it has to go back to Dainese to recharge it. Problem is I鈥檝e been trying for two weeks to get Dainese to respond to my requests for help with no luck. So now I鈥檓 forced to pretend I never spent all that money on the latest tech and just use it as a normal leather suit.

Yep, I hear ya. My main racing buddy jumped in early and went down the Dainese route too and now he regrets it. Great suit etc but trying to ship a suit back to Italy and back in a reasonable time frame in Covid world is just not doable. :(

Registered

Yep, I hear ya. My main racing buddy jumped in early and went down the Dainese route too and now he regrets it. Great suit etc but trying to ship a suit back to Italy and back in a reasonable time frame in Covid world is just not doable. :(
One of the reasons I ordered the Hit-air was so that if it ever did deploy, I could just get a CO2 cartridge and I'm ready to go again. I have reservations on what the total turn around time would be to send in a jacket/suit. I only have one riding suit so it would take me off the bike for weeks (or maybe longer from these stories I am hearing).

Reactions: airhead83

Registered
I just got my D-air suit back. I now have another reason to think this is a bad system for most people. They don鈥檛 just screw in a new CO2 cylinder or whatever, the entire air bag is replaced. With shipping it ended up costing me $400 to fix it and I had to buy a spare set of leathers so I wouldn鈥檛 miss a race while this was happening.

Unless you鈥檙e a sponsored pro with several sets hanging in the trailer ready to go this is BS.

Registered
Wow, sorry to hear about that. May I ask, what was the complete turn-around time between air-bag deployment and new air-bag received?

I've been wearing my hit-air for over a month now. Never had to "use it" and hopefully never will. It's very comfortable and I don't even notice it's there. First few times I got off the bike the cord was still attached but now I am used to unhooking. For price comparison, you can get 3 CO2 cartridges for under $100. It takes 5 minutes to change the cartridge and reset the vest. Probably good for the track as even if you have a deployment. You can be back on the bike in 10 minutes. I will say the sizing is weird as their "medium" fits up to XL so you have to be careful of the size you order.

Registered
The Dainese suits have to go to California for repair. I was told that because of Covid there were delays. The biggest issue I had was just talking to someone there and getting a return authorization. After several weeks I gave up and turned to the dealer I originally bought the suit from in Orlando. I live in Houston. This was a custom fit and design suit. They were able to talk to California and get the paperwork for me to return it. From that point it ONLY took three more weeks to get it back. Seriously a stupid system.

Registered
I have had the Hit Air bag vest for 2 seasons. I crashed 3 weeks ago and it deployed and did its thing. I came away with a grade 1 right shoulder separation and a mild concussion. I was out of it and got an ambulance ride to the ER. I am sure the vest helped prevent worse damage. I brought another Co2 cartridge for $30 bucks an another tether for $20. It was a pain switching the tether between bikes at the track. I got a blue one since most of my bikes have the color blue.
I have dismounted plenty of times and forgot I was tethered in, no issues. You feel that tug and oops . I wear it at the track but not on the street. I don鈥檛 do that much street riding but I should wear it at ALL times. Definitely a good investment for street and track, no matter which one you get.

Registered
I have had the Hit Air bag vest for 2 seasons. I crashed 3 weeks ago and it deployed and did its thing. I came away with a grade 1 right shoulder separation and a mild concussion. I was out of it and got an ambulance ride to the ER. I am sure the vest helped prevent worse damage. I brought another Co2 cartridge for $30 bucks an another tether for $20. It was a pain switching the tether between bikes at the track. I got a blue one since most of my bikes have the color blue.
I have dismounted plenty of times and forgot I was tethered in, no issues. You feel that tug and oops . I wear it at the track but not on the street. I don鈥檛 do that much street riding but I should wear it at ALL times. Definitely a good investment for street and track, no matter which one you get.
Glad to hear you are doing ok. Can you elaborate more on how the crash happened and how you went off the bike? Did you find the deployment fast enough? Clearly you had some "minor" injuries in areas where the airbag doesn't protect the body. Do you think you would have had other injuries if it wasn't for the airbag?

Registered
Glad to hear you are doing ok. Can you elaborate more on how the crash happened and how you went off the bike? Did you find the deployment fast enough? Clearly you had some "minor" injuries in areas where the airbag doesn't protect the body. Do you think you would have had other injuries if it wasn't for the airbag?
All I remember was the front wheel turning to the right and the next thing I know I am in the ambulance 馃殤 trying to answer a bunch of questions. I don鈥檛 know if it was a high side or a low side and the bike flipped. The windshield was demolished and the tank was dented on top left side, and the tail was almost broken in two pieces. My bell was rung, I don鈥檛 remember the crash.
There was mud every but more so on the back of my right shoulder. I had a back protector on under my jacket, so I am gonna guess and say BOTH saved any back injuries and the vest maybe prevented a worse shoulder injury. The vest deploys and keeps the head mobilized so maybe that prevent any neck injuries. Lots of guesses but I will wear the air vest at every track or race event for sure!!!!
EBC664F6-D38C-4B77-8EA7-AB16085D8491.jpeg
53550DFE-82A4-4662-8043-9DA612E78E8F.jpeg
F465AF46-CF36-4109-9818-58D81214286C.jpeg
4D6E7509-42C9-41BD-A898-2ABD9ACC3FC6.jpeg

Registered
Glad you are ok. I'm definitely going to keep wearing my airbag with every ride.

For the track air bags are a good thing. There is no doubt they help. Crashing is expensive.
I think it's good for any kind of riding, track or street.

Registered
Too many possible scenarios to predict on the street. In some cases I鈥檓 sure it helps but not sure how much when you get run over by a Prius or bounce off a curb and nail a tree. Know what I mean?

Registered
Too many possible scenarios to predict on the street. In some cases I鈥檓 sure it helps but not sure how much when you get run over by a Prius or bounce off a curb and nail a tree. Know what I mean?
It doesn't have to help in all situations to be prudent to wear. I haven't heard of anybody having a worse outcome from an airbag. It's like seat belts, people still die in car accidents with seat belts on, but sometimes it does help, hence it's good to wear your seat belt/airbag 100% of the time.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts