Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was having issues with my heated grips the other day, so I pulled off the tank and airbox to fix the broken clip. Upon starting the bike I got a check engine light; error code 13, air intake temp sensor open or short.
So off came the tank again but everything was as it should be. I ran a multimeter over the sensor and found that there is no resistance value. Is there any reason for this to happen? There's no visible damage whatsoever

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well that sucks, you got 2 options here:

1. Take it to dealer, let them fix it under warranty.

2. I can post the the troubleshooting section from the service manual if you want to tackle that. There are 2 tests to perform. And your gonna need a special tool called a measuring adapter.

3. You probably inadvertently dropped /broke the sensor, they are fragile. Only way to know is to run the tests.

4. Erase the DTC code, then see if it returns.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well that sucks, you got 2 options here:

1. Take it to dealer, let them fix it under warranty.

2. I can post the the troubleshooting section from the service manual if you want to tackle that. There are 2 tests to perform. And your gonna need a special tool called a measuring adapter.

3. You probably inadvertently dropped /broke the sensor, they are fragile. Only way to know is to run the tests.

4. Erase the DTC code, then see if it returns.
Cant he just use an ohm meter and a blow dryer, it should just be a thermistor, the resistance will fall when heated.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Here ya go:

IMG_20180628_071309.jpg

IMG_20180628_071952.jpg

IMG_20180628_072227.jpg

IMG_20180628_071608.jpg

Correction, 3 tests to perform, voltage, continuity, and resistance.

I would just take it to the dealer.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,302 Posts
I broke my sensor while messing with the airbox. It threw up a code but the bike still ran. I drove it to pick up the new sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts