Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be getting my PCV this week and my Akra full exhaust next week. Does anyone have any recommendations for a high flow air filter? I haven't really been able to find anything on them. Looking forward to getting a tune to smooth things out and get some more power.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ebay

I got my after market air filter from EBay for 27 bucks and change. I have a full Delkevic system with a custom dyno tune. I did a track weekend and the bike felt awesome and pulled strong. The filter can be cleaned and re oiled. Looks similar to a BMC race.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I'm looking into installing a MWR air filter to help eek up the power and re tune. I am a street rider, mostly canyons and stuff. Is this asking for a PITA on cleaning? I do rip down the bike often but I am not sure I want to be forced to rip it down every week just to clean and re oil the filter. I will probably do it if I can get 500mi between cleaning...Any thoughts? Thanks! PS, I live in LA and have to drive through gritty dirty traffic to get to the fun stuff. My sooty jacket is proof of it :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm looking into installing a MWR air filter to help eek up the power and re tune. I am a street rider, mostly canyons and stuff. Is this asking for a PITA on cleaning? I do rip down the bike often but I am not sure I want to be forced to rip it down every week just to clean and re oil the filter. I will probably do it if I can get 500mi between cleaning...Any thoughts? Thanks! PS, I live in LA and have to drive through gritty dirty traffic to get to the fun stuff. My sooty jacket is proof of it :)
Kawasaki didn’t make it easy to change the air filter. All my other bikes, all was needed was to prop up the tank and get easy access to the air filter, plugs etc. Taking the tank off is a PITA just to clean the air filter and anything else under the tank. I went with an after air filter on all my bikes and it was always easy to do. I will not look forward to doing this once a season.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my air filter on eBay, it cost about 30 bucks. I liked not only its price and quality but also free shipping. During the search for the filter I needed, I came across ozone generators. We live in a difficult time, and I think that the ozone generator is what I need to get rid of germs (virus prevention) and unpleasant odors in my car. If you are interested, you can find out more about it on https://www.damagecontrol-911.com/ozone-generators-in-the-car/. If any of you use such a generator, please share your experience.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Couple different air filters HERE Long as yer at it, you'll wanta rip out the internal snorkels, 'n hack up the airbox to let more air in; that to is on the Norton website.
The only PITA is accessing the thing. As long as yer street ride'in you can clean at same intervals you'd replace the stock one. ('Least that's wut I do on my FJR)
My K&N on the Z400 got dirty after following someone 100 mi. of dirt road; butt I was in a cloud of dust the whole time like pig pen! :LOL:

·
Registered
29 Posts
DNA filter here - installed with Velocity stacks, ECU flash/tune, and Norton airbox mod. Very happy with the performance jump (43hp up to 52hp).

·
Registered
121 Posts
BMC. Not dyno'd, but does seem to allow more air. I can hear the intake sound slightly louder as the indicator to air suckage. PITA, yes. But thankfully removing the tank has an auto shutoff valve when hoses are disconnected, so not terrible. Does not mean you have to do it more often than recommended maintenance. Plan on doing it with other maintenance, such as the PITA spark plug job.

OEM filter and BMC, at time of change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
DNA filter here - installed with Velocity stacks, ECU flash/tune, and Norton airbox mod. Very happy with the performance jump (43hp up to 52hp).
hi,
do you have a pic of velocity stacks? do you use 2 shorts instead of 1 long/ 1 short?
What is Norton airbox mod?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you use the search function on this site, Norton Motorsports is a site sponsor and they have done some killer parts and mods for the 400 including ECU flashes, v-stacks, airbox mods, etc...

My v-stacks are from EDR Performance in Oregon, USA and I don't have any pics - apologies.

·
Registered
498 Posts
BMC. Not dyno'd, but does seem to allow more air. I can hear the intake sound slightly louder as the indicator to air suckage. PITA, yes. But thankfully removing the tank has an auto shutoff valve when hoses are disconnected, so not terrible. Does not mean you have to do it more often than recommended maintenance. Plan on doing it with other maintenance, such as the PITA spark plug job.

OEM filter and BMC, at time of change.

View attachment 15577
At how many milles did you change it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts