Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought we may as well get a grip thread going as riders are going to want to change their grips for a variety of reasons.

Ive just ordered the Pro Grip gel type that member @Pat put us on to and also props to @emudshit for the ebay link.
Supposed to help with vibration and look cooler IMO and only $9 USD.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232677423423?rmvSB=true

Also here's a link to Pat's excellent modification thread, post #6 is all about grip removal and fitting of replacements.
http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/9-ninja-400-general-discussion-forum/1125-ninja-400-yellow-grey-black-modification-thread-3.html#post8815

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I thought this was about tank grips ?
You can start a thread about tank grips if you want. Are you talking about the ones you put on the sides of the tank in front of the seat and grip with your knees when hard cornering?
Not something I normally stick on my bikes. My old GSXR400 race bike came with them on but I cant say I miss not having them on my new bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got some cheap really meaty comfortable universal ones off ebay. Still waiting on them, will take pics lates.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Grip glue

What's the best stuff to use? Been reading other fourms and a lot of others saying their grips eventually spin when they use actual glue made for grips.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont use anything. The main thing is not to use any sort of lubricant when you fit them. I used a compressed air gun with the tip stuffed between the bar and the inside of the grip to break the seal while I positioned them. They haven't moved at all so far.
Some people put a couple of loops of racing lock wire on them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
New Grips

I am wanting to install new grips. After watching the Sportbike Track Gear video on youtube I think I am going to go with the Driven Racing D-Axis Grips and Bar Ends. My question is without access to an air compressor, what are some ways to get the stock grips off? He mentions a few ways but does not go into detail. Other question is he uses grip glue, it is really necessary to use grip glue? Seems like these grips fit pretty tight and are not easy to get on.

Here is the link to see what I am talking about:

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I changed mine on my other bike, I just cut the old grips off. I made sure the surface the grips were going to go on was good and clean. I didn’t use grip glue though... I used extra hold hair spray and let it sit for a while. I didn’t have any trouble with them moving for about the 2000 miles I put on it before it got traded in for the 400..

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I changed mine on my other bike, I just cut the old grips off. I made sure the surface the grips were going to go on was good and clean. I didn’t use grip glue though... I used extra hold hair spray and let it sit for a while. I didn’t have any trouble with them moving for about the 2000 miles I put on it before it got traded in for the 400..
I do the same. Hair spray works great! Way cheaper than grip glue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So my buddy is using my Dremel tool at the moment and I wanted to ride so bad that I left the stock grip on the throttle side and had my new D3 on the clutch side and let me tell you guys from a first hand experience there is a lot of difference with handling vibration between an aftermarket and stock grips. My right hand actually went completely numb that I had to pull over to get feeling back in my hand and I checked how tight I was holding multiple times.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I ordered these for mine. Got them off AliExpress so not sure how the quality will be when they get here. I've never swapped grips as this is my first bike so we'll see how it goes and I'll try to post pics after it's done when they arrive in the estimated 30 days.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
I get my new grips next week going to try the hairspray.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Put mine on last night that @Pat and @Kiwi Rider talked about and they’re amazing. I went for about a 1 1/2 ride last night through some twistys, hit all the gears and even hit the interstate on the way home and top out the bike. Barely any vibration compared to the stock grips and I didn’t even have barends on. Still waiting on cyclegear to get my order in. If anyone needs install help I can give mine although I probably didn’t do it right in the opinion of some riders.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am wanting to install new grips. After watching the Sportbike Track Gear video on youtube I think I am going to go with the Driven Racing D-Axis Grips and Bar Ends. My question is without access to an air compressor, what are some ways to get the stock grips off? He mentions a few ways but does not go into detail. Other question is he uses grip glue, it is really necessary to use grip glue? Seems like these grips fit pretty tight and are not easy to get on.
I am not sure how to do a removal without compressed air. Perhaps give them a call and ask for their advice. If Brian at STG is using grip glue, then you can bet yer a$$ I would be using it.

I have spent almost $1K with STG since getting the Ninja. A company that puts out detailed videos like his deserves my business. I could not consciously use his videos to install parts I bought elsewhere if I could get them from him. :wink:

With that being said, Revzilla gets their fair share of my MC cash also. Both vendors are First Class.:clap::3tens:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am not sure how to do a removal without compressed air. Perhaps give them a call and ask for their advice. If Brian at STG is using grip glue, then you can bet yer a$$ I would be using it.

I have spent almost $1K with STG since getting the Ninja. A company that puts out detailed videos like his deserves my business. I could not consciously use his videos to install parts I bought elsewhere if I could get them from him. :wink:

With that being said, Revzilla gets their fair share of my MC cash also. Both vendors are First Class.:clap::3tens:
I got my grips and bar ends from Revzilla because they were cheaper than STG lol, I do love STG youtube videos, they put some good stuff and Brian is awesome! I love his install videos.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So I got my cheap AliExpress grips. They look great and feel really nice. Though one downside. The throttle side is just slightly too long so the rubber of the grip hangs over the throttle tube so if i put the aluminum end on the throttle sticks. So I trimmed the end off but now the aluminum end doesn't stay on that side.

So I have them on for now and the left side looks great. The right side not bad but it's noticeable. They feel great I've taken a couple 30 minutes rides with them and I can already tell a difference from the stock ones.

I am gonna end up replacing them though since I can't use the end on the throttle side. Here's a pic of the clutch side installed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts