Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just hit 500 miles on my 2021. So far mirrors, eliminator, black reflective rim tape and a whopping $60 slip on thats not bad. I was going to get a K and N filter, but feel like it's already running to lean? I took out the db killer and sounds even better, but idled rough so i put it back in. Should I just call around locally to get the Ecu flash?

Attachments

Registered
I had mine done about 18 months ago and love it. Makes for a much more enjoyable ride. Little more low end power and a lot smoother throttle response
At least on mine. Where's local ?
馃悏

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Springfield Mo area. Im guessing 300 bucks and a few hours of tuning? Im hoping its a noticeable differnce in power. Im all for the low to mid area. Alot of city riding. I would get power commander, but I don't want to risk me ruining something when I can leave it to someone certified

Registered
I think mine was $225. Sent it to Superbike Unlimited. You tell them your mods and possible future mods. They tweak it and send it back. Worked for me. What pipe is that? Amazon? 馃悏

Registered
I also had the SBU Race spec flash and it really wakes up the 400. If you want to run a slip on and K&N filter you should get the ECU flashed. Norton also provides an excellent Race spec ECU flashing service.

Here is my SBU ECU Flash review. Personally, I like to use services that are involved in some type of racing program like SBU, Norton, Moore Mafia, etc..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep its than Amazonian special lol. I may move on the Hindle Megaphone, but will most def be getting a flash within the month. Thanks for the leads to getting a flash btw! Also I heard if you change thr sprocket size too much the bike will throw a check engine light? I was going only going to add 2 teeth in the rear. Hoping that wouldn't throw a light

Registered
Yep its than Amazonian special lol. I may move on the Hindle Megaphone, but will most def be getting a flash within the month. Thanks for the leads to getting a flash btw! Also I heard if you change thr sprocket size too much the bike will throw a check engine light? I was going only going to add 2 teeth in the rear. Hoping that wouldn't throw a light
The Hindle Evolution is a very nice slip-on but a bit more expensive than the Mega. Can't help with sprockets so perhaps someone else can chime in. I saw a video where they said going down 1 tooth up front was best/.

Registered
2020 Kawasaki EX400HJF Ninja, 2020 Kawasaki Z400
Congrats on your new ride! If you change your gearing by more than 7%, it WILL throw a c.e.l. code. That is because the ECU cross-checks the data from the engine against the data from the rear wheel every few minutes. The only time that the ECU does not do this is when the clutch lever is pulled in. So if the ECU thinks that the clutch lever is pulled in all the time, it will not perform the cross-check, and the Check Engine Light will not come on.

Registered
Yes over 7%... been there done that on the sprockets...1 on the front will cause CEL code. 1 or 2 on the rear won't, but 3 will. I agree with KwackerJack. You have to jumper out the safety switch on the clutch to eliminate the CEL if you go beyond the limit 馃悏
Adding 2 teeth in rear? You live in the mountains?
I finally settled on 梅1 rear

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the Ozarks. Hills and Hillbillies lol. Was 1 tooth rear noticeable? I've messed around with the sprocket calculator online a bit

Registered
1 on the rear gave me SOME of what I needed without much top end loss. But I don't ride triple digits anyway. -1 on the front was way to much. 2 on the back you gotta change chain length. I also ride mountains and it works for me. 馃悏

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
106 links is factory right? Maybe thats what ill do... then I dont have to worry about removing a link or messing with the the check engine light. Yeah need for doin 120 lol I have a family I need to come home to at the end of the day

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I found a place that would dyno tune my Z but they said ill need the power commander as well... they want 350 plus the commander thats like 380?? Is there not a cheaper route lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How long was your bike out of commish with sending off for the flash and getting everything back? And... do you know how much gains you got out of the flash? See the guy i talked to today said... you won't get any gains from a flash. Rev limiter and a little throttle response is all you will get out of that deal. Maybe hes just trying to get my biz on his dyno

Registered
They advertise next day turnaround after receiving your ecu. I sent mine in in 2019 but left on vacation. It was there when I returned. My opinion, I would do it again in a heartbeat. For me a lot smoother throttle response. No more lurching as I throttled up in the middle of a turn. A lot more lower RPM power. I can carry a higher gear into and through a turn without having to shift to accelerate out. It could be my imagination but I swear it revs faster. For ME it worked big time.
馃悏

Premium Member
Welcome. Norton Motorsports prolly does the best flashes, dunno their turn around time now? Depending yer mechanical proficiency, you can get a Flash Tune harness for 'bout $380, then there's no down time, 'n you can tweak stuff in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts