Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since my particular line of work requires me to work night shift I have been thinking about adding some sort of additional lighting to my Ninja. The LED headlight is pretty good as is, especially compared to some of my other bikes I’ve owned in the past. But I occasionally find myself entering a bend and not being able to see anything past the beam of light.

I’ve been researching different types of lighting available and it seems the possibilities are endless and range from cheapo made in China ones to super high end Clearwater ones catered towards the BMW/Adventure crowd. I definitely want to go LED and keep the cost somewhere in the $100-$200 dollar range...

My question is has anyone here done any lighting mods to their Ninja 400? If so, feel free to post up your experiences. I’m curious about brand, type, cost, mounting location, durability...etc

Here’s one I’m considering so far. It’s not overly expensive and looks pretty streamlined and easy to mount. I wonder if it’s just for other drivers’ visibility or if it actually lights up the road better?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/denali-daytime-running-light-universal-flush-mounting-kit

D7DDCA3A-B8D4-46C6-8177-BDED6F5E826C.jpeg

1EB59152-8EA6-4AAA-86A6-0839B8C335FC.jpeg

Another idea is to buy the pods separately and figure out a way to mount to the forks or under the upper fairing above the fender...? I’m not opposed to fabbing up some sort of custom brackets to mount them. This is something I would be installing myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Following this post as I am interested in this as well. I head to work at 4:30am and live in a rural area so I would love more light!

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZGCKBL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's easy to install as you can put it under the fairings. I used zip ties to attach it but it has an adhesive as well. I don't care too much about the "bling factor", instead, I did it for extra visibility if I have to ride in the dark.
That’s cool, especially for added visibility and being seen by other drivers. My intent is geared more toward additional visibility for the rider. I want to see further up the road so I can see what’s around the bend...

I ride some very dark back roads at night and I want to light up the road to avoid hazards in the road (animals, rocks, vehicles...etc)...

·
Registered
454 Posts
That’s cool, especially for added visibility and being seen by other drivers. My intent is geared more toward additional visibility for the rider. I want to see further up the road so I can see what’s around the bend...

I ride some very dark back roads at night and I want to light up the road to avoid hazards in the road (animals, rocks, vehicles...etc)...
Got it. Just be careful as you don't want to make some "high beam substitute" that you can't turn off. You don't want to impair the site of oncoming traffic as that could be even more dangerous (not to mention inconsiderate).

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I went ahead and ordered the “el cheapo” led fogs from eBay to experiment with...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Motorcy...TV-Headlight-/382678438825?txnId=974194987025

I’m going to play with different mounting locations and see what works best to add better visibility. I plan to mount them low so they light up the road and not oncoming drivers...

For reference, here is an example of the type of road I routinely ride at night...!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
So ignore my last post after further research I see that you could do a external switch, and that would be best so you only turn on when needed.

I was looking at 2 external spotlights and a switch. My ride is real close to your haha, about 6 miles, 55mph, no lights, pitch dark sometimes. I want to aim the lights just a hair to the sides to help with critter watching and see what's in corners. I also live in a deer prone area so I really want to see those early!

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So I received the LED lights. They are actually pretty good quality. I’m impressed with how sturdy they look and feel. They are also the perfect size.

I decided to mount them to the fender so I can aim them with steering inputs. I temporarily have them mounted with 3M sticky tape to test position. I wired it directly to the tail light wires (red +, black/yellow -) since they draw so little current and I didn’t want to tap into the headlight harness. They will remain on as long as the key is on. I may add an on off switch in the future. I ran the wires through a loom zip tied along the frame and under the left side of the gas tank, then under the fairing stay and onto the brake line.

This is just my initial mock up. Once I decide on the exact light angle I will drill 2 small holes and permanently attach to the fender. The brackets are slotted so I will be able to adjust the height...

I have not tested them outside my garage yet, but Initial tests are impressive. I think these little lights are just what I was looking for and will definitely help with my nighttime visibility. They are aimed low so they will not blind or annoy oncoming drivers...

·
Registered
403 Posts
I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZGCKBL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's easy to install as you can put it under the fairings. I used zip ties to attach it but it has an adhesive as well. I don't care too much about the "bling factor", instead, I did it for extra visibility if I have to ride in the dark.
got the exact same lights (Ditrio). adhesive with all weather proof tape from gorilla (extra peace of mind) and it was all good. only gripe is the 50W power drain that they have.

How did you use zip ties to attach the lights (i was using them for getting the wires bunched up together)

·
Registered
454 Posts
got the exact same lights (Ditrio). adhesive with all weather proof tape from gorilla (extra peace of mind) and it was all good. only gripe is the 50W power drain that they have.

How did you use zip ties to attach the lights (i was using them for getting the wires bunched up together)
I would just zip tie it along the frame, the underside of the tail lights, under the front fairings, etc. I was scared the glue would loosen with time/heat/vibration, etc. I attached some pictures to show how I was doing it. Then I would trim the zip ties and pull them real tight at the end when everything was in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would just zip tie it along the frame, the underside of the tail lights, under the front fairings, etc. I was scared the glue would loosen with time/heat/vibration, etc. I attached some pictures to show how I was doing it. Then I would trim the zip ties and pull them real tight at the end when everything was in place.
niceeee... i see what you mean. very different from what (or most others i guess) do with these lights. i stuck them on the fairings instead of the frame like you did.
but its still in demo mode (havent used the adhesive, just duct tape to stick them) so there is still scope for changing the thing.
The 2 strips under the tail section, how did you get the wiring to the under of the seat with them? (removing the rear seat fairing and squishing them in where the brake light connections go from?)

Also, realized that you had the coupling for the frame sliders installed on the frame. Shogun is it?

·
Registered
454 Posts
niceeee... i see what you mean. very different from what (or most others i guess) do with these lights. i stuck them on the fairings instead of the frame like you did.
but its still in demo mode (havent used the adhesive, just duct tape to stick them) so there is still scope for changing the thing.
The 2 strips under the tail section, how did you get the wiring to the under of the seat with them? (removing the rear seat fairing and squishing them in where the brake light connections go from?)

Also, realized that you had the coupling for the frame sliders installed on the frame. Shogun is it?
Yes, most people use adhesive. I don't know why I didn't trust it. I was scared that with time, exposure to water, heat/cold, etc... the adhesive would break down and I didn't want to go through the hassle of pulling the fairings off again if I didn't need to. I figured zip ties would be very unlikely to break (I often used double just in case).

The tail section lights were actually easy to fit as I was able to run the wire along with the tail light wiring. I actually didn't have to remove any of the tail fairings as the wire runs from the underside, through the wiring hole for the tail lights, under the rear seat (along with the stand wiring) and then directly to the battery compartment under the main seat. It was the only set of lights that you could potentially install without any tools. Again, secured the tail end with zip ties.

Yup, Shogun slider set.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I finally got around to uploading a video of me riding with the new LED's. Its not the same road as the last video but it's still pretty dark with no streetlights.

I am very pleased with the results of these lights. It really does light up the road and gives me more confidence riding at night. I highly recommend this to those of you who need more lighting at night or just want to be seen better.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ok I finally got around to uploading a video of me riding with the new LED's. Its not the same road as the last video but it's still pretty dark with no streetlights.

I am very pleased with the results of these lights. It really does light up the road and gives me more confidence riding at night. I highly recommend this to those of you who need more lighting at night or just want to be seen better.
they do seem to make a difference (you would know best though). good stuff.
are these street legal? the whole "extra lighting might blind the onncoming traffic thing".

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I received the LED lights. They are actually pretty good quality. I’m impressed with how sturdy they look and feel. They are also the perfect size.

I decided to mount them to the fender so I can aim them with steering inputs. I temporarily have them mounted with 3M sticky tape to test position. I wired it directly to the tail light wires (red +, black/yellow -) since they draw so little current and I didn’t want to tap into the headlight harness. They will remain on as long as the key is on. I may add an on off switch in the future. I ran the wires through a loom zip tied along the frame and under the left side of the gas tank, then under the fairing stay and onto the brake line.

Esta es solo mi maqueta inicial. Una vez que decida el ángulo de luz exacto, taladraré 2 agujeros pequeños y los sujetaré permanentemente al guardabarros. Los soportes están ranurados para que pueda ajustar la altura ...

Todavía no los he probado fuera de mi garaje, pero las pruebas iniciales son impresionantes. Creo que estas pequeñas luces son justo lo que estaba buscando y definitivamente ayudarán con mi visibilidad nocturna. Apuntan bajo para que no ceguen ni molesten a los conductores que vienen en sentido contrario ...

[/CITA]
¿Después de algunos años siguen trabajando? 🤔

1 - 20 of 21 Posts