Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My engine tuner requested the serial # of my ECU so he can send it to Woolich Racing products who provide his re-flash software.

So I took a few pics as I went for a quick How-to:

1. Remove the seat.

2. Remove the frame cross brace (the allen screws on mine were super tight) and the plastic cover tray. You will need to unclip a few electrical connectors first that run across the top of the tray but they all have individual plug styles so you cant mix them up on re-connection. Both items are shown in the pic:

P1000151.JPG

3. You should now be looking at this:

P1000153.JPG

4. Slide the rubber holder case off the two electronic boxes and lift the top one clear to expose your ECU:

P1000154.JPG

5. This is the serial number:

P1000155.JPG

·
Registered
764 Posts
My engine tuner requested the serial # of my ECU so he can send it to Woolich Racing products who provide his re-flash software.

So I took a few pics as I went for a quick How-to:

1. Remove the seat.

2. Remove the frame cross brace (the allen screws on mine were super tight) and the plastic cover tray. You will need to unclip a few electrical connectors first that run across the top of the tray but they all have individual plug styles so you cant mix them up on re-connection. Both items are shown in the pic:

View attachment 1223

3. You should now be looking at this:

View attachment 1225

4. Slide the rubber holder case off the two electronic boxes and lift the top one clear to expose your ECU:

View attachment 1227

5. This is the serial number:

View attachment 1229
kiwi this didnt help at all haha, did you first remove the fuel tank? side panels? mid fairing? then the other 2 screws on the plastic cover which lays ontop of the ecu?

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kiwi this didnt help at all haha, did you first remove the fuel tank? side panels? mid fairing? then the other 2 screws on the plastic cover which lays ontop of the ecu?
No I didnt remove all that stuff, I would have told you if I did! :tongue:
OK maybe those rubbery side panels might help but its a while ago now and I've got a good forgetter on my shoulders.

When you say plastic cover that lays on top of the ECU do you mean that tray I show in the first photo? Not sure what screws you mean either.
I thought it was an easy job :grin:

·
Registered
764 Posts
No I didnt remove all that stuff, I would have told you if I did! :tongue:
OK maybe those rubbery side panels might help but its a while ago now and I've got a good forgetter on my shoulders.

When you say plastic cover that lays on top of the ECU do you mean that tray I show in the first photo? Not sure what screws you mean either.
I thought it was an easy job :grin:
Oh? **** then why did i remove my fuel tank haha

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh? **** then why did i remove my fuel tank haha
Good practice for you! It doesn't take long to remove tank, side fairings are more fiddly and time consuming.

To be fair (after looking at my photos) I can see I did this job when I was doing a whole lot of other stuff to the bike so the tank was already off.

Get rid of that lardy EVAP canister too while your on the case. :biggrin:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Good practice for you! It doesn't take long to remove tank, side fairings are more fiddly and time consuming.

To be fair (after looking at my photos) I can see I did this job when I was doing a whole lot of other stuff to the bike so the tank was already off.

Get rid of that lardy EVAP canister too while your on the case. :biggrin:
what you talkin bout willis, to remove the tank you have to first remove the side fairings -.-

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what you talkin bout willis, to remove the tank you have to first remove the side fairings -.-
Not if your clever ha ha. You do have to fully remove the two little rubbery panels that run under the seat but not the main side fairings.
I think from memory you just take the top machine screw out on each side and that gives you enough room to sneak the tank out with some flexing of the panels.
Have done it that way a couple of times now. The trickiest bit is getting the tank breather hose and EVAP canister hose back on the LH side as the fairing is in your way a bit. Can be done though.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Not if your clever ha ha. You do have to fully remove the two little rubbery panels that run under the seat but not the main side fairings.
I think from memory you just take the top machine screw out on each side and that gives you enough room to sneak the tank out with some flexing of the panels.
Have done it that way a couple of times now. The trickiest bit is getting the tank breather hose and EVAP canister hose back on the LH side as the fairing is in your way a bit. Can be done though.
so how many screws where holding your fuel tank? I dont see any other way of getting to the ECU unless removing both the fuel tank and side fairing or am i missing something

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so how many screws where holding your fuel tank? I dont see any other way of getting to the ECU unless removing both the fuel tank and side fairing or am i missing something
I'm writing this from memory but pretty sure once you remove the rubbery panel it reveals a machine screw up the very top of where the panel was sitting. That screw holds the fairing side panel to the tank, that's the one you need to remove on each side of the tank so you can get a bit of flex in the side fairing and slip the tank out. Remember though that the tank doesn't pop off easily, you have to have that exact angle of pull to slide it off those two rubber mounts at the front.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I REMOVED EVERYTHING TODAY INCLUDING THE SPARK PLUGS, because i wanted to see if the bike was running lean and they did seem a fair bit bright so im really glad i flashed the ecu, so far its a night and day difference i love it,send me your ecu kiwi and ill flash it for 200$ aud

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I REMOVED EVERYTHING TODAY INCLUDING THE SPARK PLUGS, because i wanted to see if the bike was running lean and they did seem a fair bit bright so im really glad i flashed the ecu, so far its a night and day difference i love it,send me your ecu kiwi and ill flash it for 200$ aud
What sort of differences have you noticed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts