Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I picked up a Ninja 400 in April, have a bit over 1,500 miles on it. Loving the bike, especially since I put on the Ergo-Fit seat, but have one nagging complaint. I didn't see any reviewers mention it, so I'm curious if it's unique to my bike.

For reference, I previously had a carbureted Ninja 250. I currently have a 2011 Triumph Street Triple in addition to the 400.

My issue with the Ninja 400 is that the throttle response feels very abrupt at small openings, e.g. when rolling off to throttle close, or when rolling the throttle open from closed. I initially thought it was due to an excess of slack in the throttle freeplay, but even after adjusting out the slack I still find the throttle choppy at small openings.

The effect is most obvious when filtering through stop-and-go traffic, where I want to keep the throttle open just barely. It often feels like the throttle abruptly cuts out, rather than smoothly holding very low revs above idle. The effect is the reverse when rolling on the throttle, like when making a rolling stop with just the throttle. Let out throttle, stay in gear, roll to a low speed, roll on throttle to take off and there's a distinct step in the throttle, a little jerk that feels like chain slack (the chain is well adjusted).

I can work around the issue by using more clutch for smoothness down low, but this is the first bike I've owned that requires two hands to stay smooth at low RPM. Is this unique to my bike, or something others have noticed too?

·
Registered
507 Posts
The only problem i have with this bike is that im jerking the gear switching all the time, I got the bike with chain slack which is about 1.5cm which is BAD and the idiot mechanic in the dealership told me its fine and in my stupidity i though i will just let it roll.. 750km now, proabably screw as much as it can the clutch and the engine block, waiting for service to adjust it (i can do it myself but dont want to mess with the bike), throttle and clutch cables are adjusted but the chain is just bad and making me jerk all the shifting.. which is also low speed rpm jerks as well..

(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is this unique to my bike, or something others have noticed too?
Yeah, it ain't exactly buttery smooth in 1st gear. Even if I'm in bumper-to-bumper traffic (can't filter in Indiana ?) I try to keep it in 2nd as much as possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think I'm experiencing the same thing as you. Ultra smooth motion solves it but I usually just use the clutch in stop and go.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Its the EFI fueling. These days to pass emission tests they stop the flow of fuel completely on roll off. So when you get back on the gas there is a lag that you don't get with a carburetted set up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Its the EFI fueling. These days to pass emission tests they stop the flow of fuel completely on roll off. So when you get back on the gas there is a lag that you don't get with a carburetted set up.

I just took the bike out for ride to reconfirm before I posted this..

You guys may want to look at or ride my bike... I dont have any of the above stated throttle conditions, no abrupt on-off throttle or jerking, no lag, The roads are dead flat here / Dry air avg 6% moisture content / 109 deg out.... After rolling with traffic at idle 1300 rpm with the clutch fully released, when I start to apply throttle, its smooth and responsive with no lag or jerking.

Note: just went out again for a taco bell run.. Paying attention & thinking about it as I apply throttle from a rolling start at Idle I get a smooth and predictable throttle response...

Lol just got a service call - i'll report back my findings, cause this will be a much longer trip. Edit: Just got back and nothings changed... No throttle issues..!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts