Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so not accustomed to having a fuel gauge! For the past 20 years I've ridden bikes with no fuel gauge -- just the traditional fuel petcock. When the fuel starts to get low, the bike "runs out" so you turn the petcock to the lower position and now you know you've got to refuel in the next 40 miles or so.

Yesterday I went out for a ride to test the seat cushion I got recommended from Fuby, and to see how well bags bungeed to the back will hold out, in preparation for a big trip next weekend. Riding along, la di da, coming down a mountainside, I wondered what time it was, so glanced down and noticed my range indicator was showing "---" and the little icons were flashing on the LCD. Egad! Luckily I was just about off the mountain and could refuel before I ran out.

Definitely have to get into the habit of realizing I have a fuel gauge and checking it often! Little flashing icons don't get your attention as much as actually running out of fuel... but of course without a petcock, running out of fuel on this bike means you're really out of fuel!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know exatly how you feel. It takes some adjusting, and now I just try and fill up when it inidicates I've got ~30 miles. Now I never see "---"

But then again, I've always been concerned with fuel consumption so I have logs dating back a year of the amount, cost, and odo reading at time of refuel; so I'm always know how far I can go before it's time to refill my other scoot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In other news, however, upon returning home from that test ride, my odometer was at just over 800 miles, and my trip next weekend is over 100 miles each way, so that means I'll be over the magic 1000 break-in period upon my return. Huzzah!

·
Registered
120 Posts
In other news, however, upon returning home from that test ride, my odometer was at just over 800 miles, and my trip next weekend is over 100 miles each way, so that means I'll be over the magic 1000 break-in period upon my return. Huzzah!
Break in is complete at 2000 miles, that's when your third oil change should take place IIRC.

EDIT: Found the link I used for my break in procedure. I've heard something similiar to what I read here from a couple people, and the photos are compelling evidence. Following this, I was at 2000 when I decided to do my break in completion oil change, the link suggests 1500 but I'd yet to find any shavings in my first and second changes (at 20 and 600) so figured another couple of days wouldn't hurt.

It's all preference, glad you're at coming to the end of your break in. Now hit some twisties and do some top speed runs! :smile:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm so not accustomed to having a fuel gauge! For the past 20 years I've ridden bikes with no fuel gauge -- just the traditional fuel petcock. When the fuel starts to get low, the bike "runs out" so you turn the petcock to the lower position and now you know you've got to refuel in the next 40 miles or so.

Yesterday I went out for a ride to test the seat cushion I got recommended from Fuby, and to see how well bags bungeed to the back will hold out, in preparation for a big trip next weekend. Riding along, la di da, coming down a mountainside, I wondered what time it was, so glanced down and noticed my range indicator was showing "---" and the little icons were flashing on the LCD. Egad! Luckily I was just about off the mountain and could refuel before I ran out.

Definitely have to get into the habit of realizing I have a fuel gauge and checking it often! Little flashing icons don't get your attention as much as actually running out of fuel... but of course without a petcock, running out of fuel on this bike means you're really out of fuel!
I wouldn't rely heavenly on the fuel gauge my friend... Your Odo has an A and B trip meter - Use trip A for fuel ups... And trip B for oil changes, When you hit 150 miles on the trip meter you have about 30 miles left. I had a gas gauge fail so it tend to make me nervous... I loved the fuel petcock, Real life saver...!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The fuel gauge is a bit weird. It reads a click or two lower when you first start the bike than what it does after a few minutes of riding. So with my short commute, when it's flashing at startup I don't worry about it. Only when it's still flashing upon arrival at work or home do I decide to fuel up the next day.

And yeah, the seat helped, as well as having softened the suspension a click (I only weigh 130 lbs so it's not like I'm going to sink it much). At the end of a 2.5-hour ride I was only starting to get slightly uncomfortable, which is comparable to how it felt on the old touring bike.

·
Registered
440 Posts
And yeah, the seat helped, as well as having softened the suspension a click (I only weigh 130 lbs so it's not like I'm going to sink it much). At the end of a 2.5-hour ride I was only starting to get slightly uncomfortable, which is comparable to how it felt on the old touring bike.

Good to hear!! I wouldn't mean to steer anyone wrong..but we all have different opinions.. I have around 90-100 pounds on you and the pad is a permanent part of my bike now till a nice custom seat arrives on the market that I can live with. I cinched up the side straps pretty well and it holds nicely off the plastic, connected to the passenger footpeg bracket.. I find the quality is all there with the thick removable topper cover for washing if needed and I would really have hated spending over a 100USD just for a pad I am going to replace at some point. For those wondering.. This is the small airmax is 15x12x6.. https://amzn.to/2Mpw2mc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts