Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started riding back in '91 Youtube and the WWW didn't exist. I had to rely on friends who rode, Motorcycle Mags, and the occasional book to learn about motorcycles and riding techniques. In my opinion Motorcycling is a continual learning experience, so the more knowledge we have the better. There are many Youtubers out there who create a lot of useful content for both beginner and veteran riders alike. I thought it would be a good idea to create a list of recommendations...

There are many categories to choose from (racing, touring, reviews, stunters, motocross..etc), but I prefer the ones more focused on riding technique and safety, reviews, and mechanical advice...

I will start with my suggestions in no particular order. Anyone else feel free to add your own...

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and how could I forget?...Sportbike Trackgear. Max Van has helped me a bunch with his how to break down videos of Ninja 400 mods and reviews...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does anyone know of one place to find all of nick ienatsch’s videos and writings? I’ve been reading his articles for decades and lately have found some of his stuff on youtube. It seems like I always learn something from him.

And here’s an old article that I remember reading a long time ago:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'll try not to duplicate.

I've liked the variety of tours, bike reviews, and tips on The Missenden Flyer, he always seems to have a purpose and doesn't just yammer on for content: TheMissendenFlyer

The southwestern US scenery is great on the EveRide channel: eveRide ADV

I like the safe riding tips and techniques on MCRider: MCrider - Motorcycle Training

And when I want to watch more stuff, I'll sometimes watch Cyclecruiser: CycleCruza, Doodle on a Motorcycle: Doodle On A Motorcycle, Yammie Noob: Yammie Noob, and LJ: The Friendly Hooligan, she hasn't been posting much in a long while, but I liked her sense of humor: LJ: The Friendly Hooligan.

I also watch motorcycle fail videos every spring to guess what goes wrong before it happens. Many are completely obvious, but some can be more subtle. There was one where a rider with a helmet cam was riding along with traffic in a safe manner, so what's going to happen? The rider was looking off to the left and right, but not pausing to look directly ahead. You guessed right if you're thinking the rider rear ended a cager who was stopped for a light.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's an oldie but a goody. The link has probably been posted here before, but I figured this is also a good place to drop it. If you haven't seen it before I highly recommend it. I think it should be required viewing for newbies. Another tip I use is to click the settings wheel at the bottom of the view screen and increase playback speed to 1.5 or more to save time on certain videos (or if'n ya find the person annoying @Banjoboy)...

Keith Code A Twist of the Wrist II...

·
Registered
469 Posts
I love two: CycleCruza which is famous and ArabainRider. AR is a small time motovlogger but I have known him for over 3 years and watched almost every video, I think he makes good stuff.

·
Registered
94 Posts
And definitely check out Dave Moss videos. If you want to learn more about suspension, ergonomics, and everything related, he is the man. I paid his fee, and its worth every penny. A custom professor at your beck and call via videos he created.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here's an oldie but a goody. The link has probably been posted here before, but I figured this is also a good place to drop it. If you haven't seen it before I highly recommend it. I think it should be required viewing for newbies. Another tip I use is to click the settings wheel at the bottom of the view screen and increase playback speed to 1.5 or more to save time on certain videos (or if'n ya find the person annoying @Banjoboy)...

Keith Code A Twist of the Wrist II...

Did a couple two day courses with the Keith Code school at Sonoma in CA. Worth every penny. The skill set learned translates everywhere. If you ever have the chance, and the wallet is able, definitely give them a shout.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks, I was wondering about that. I’ve watched a few of his “infomercials” on youtube, but they always cut away just when he’s about to tell you something useful
Yeah, it takes me two to three times a video to really understand what Dave is going on about. Learning how to read the tire, feel what the suspension is doing, understanding which component, preload, compression, rebound, needs adjusting, what the base setup for rider weight, then ability. I have many years of paying attention, but his videos have tuned my awareness to the next several levels up. Then I have to go out, on a ride specifically paying attention to one aspect, and watch the video again afterwards. It really helps dial in the suspension.

He also has great tips for stock suspension, and non adjustable suspension.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks NinjaBird, I think I’ll sign up with Dave’s video site to see what I can learn. I’ve been playing with suspensions on other machines for decades, but I’m a motorcycle newbie.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here's an oldie but a goody.
I clicked on that a couple of months ago and saw the first few minutes, but I will go ahead and watch it on your recommendation.

I read Twist of the Wrist years ago and a lot of what he taught about vision applied to what I was riding/driving at the time. In particular I was amazed by how much my line was influenced by where I looked.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Cant believe I missed this! Thanks for the share. I'd been floundering in the wilderness until I saw these SDSS clips.
Like he says "I've been doing suspension tuning, theory and practical, for 8 years now". Cant argue with experience like that. Wow, just... wow! 👍 👍 👍

1 - 20 of 32 Posts