Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm getting pretty close to putting down a deposit on a 2023 bike after watching loads of reviews.
One slight concern I have is that the 2023 bike has just been updated to euro 5 emission standards. Most reviews are on previous model years.
I understand the torque is fractionally less, which doesn't bother me at all. However there have been some bikes (like the z900) where euro 5 has caused some snatchiness rolling on from a closed throttle.

I'm pretty fussy about this, and don't want to spend a load of money trying to tune it out. Hated this on my MT-07, and a lot of people don't even have a problem with smoothness on that bike - i'm just finickety. Been riding 20 odd years now and past changing.

Anyone ridden both the 2023 and an earlier year and can comment? It's the on-off throttle smoothness i'm worried about, particularly around town / at lowish speeds.
Thanks!
Jon

· Vendor
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400
590 Posts
Hi all,
I'm getting pretty close to putting down a deposit on a 2023 bike after watching loads of reviews.
One slight concern I have is that the 2023 bike has just been updated to euro 5 emission standards. Most reviews are on previous model years.
I understand the torque is fractionally less, which doesn't bother me at all. However there have been some bikes (like the z900) where euro 5 has caused some snatchiness rolling on from a closed throttle.

I'm pretty fussy about this, and don't want to spend a load of money trying to tune it out. Hated this on my MT-07, and a lot of people don't even have a problem with smoothness on that bike - i'm just finickety. Been riding 20 odd years now and past changing.

Anyone ridden both the 2023 and an earlier year and can comment? It's the on-off throttle smoothness i'm worried about, particularly around town / at lowish speeds.
Thanks!
Jon
Unfortunately not too familiar with Euro 5 standards here in the US. That being said, the N400 has significantly less power, and is meant to be super tame from stock as its meant for new riders. It isn't even close to the MT-07 power and torque wise.

However, if it feels too jumpy getting a soft pull spring would help allow for very small adjustments of throttle.

· Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 😂🐙
1,256 Posts
On/off throttle on the 18-19 model I have is irritating and very noticeable to me. Coming from a carby bike makes it even more noticeable. Really only a remap can sort it properly.
Yup very true.
Coming from a carbureted Super hawk 1000 to the Ninja400 is night and day in the throttle feel.

Even a tune hasn't quelled the on off feel to the throttle much but I am learning to be smoother with it and adding a soft spring to the bike as a last ditch effort.

Aside from this particular quirk in most fuel injected bikes the Ninja 400 is still a blast to ride street or track and gets lots of looks by pedestrians too. 🥰

· Registered
1,181 Posts
FYI……make sure the throttle is adjusted properly. Many of the bikes I have checked the throttle and there is usually way too much play. I always check my bikes and make sure there is NO PLAY in the throttle. Can’t do power wheelies with a loose throttle. 😎😎😎

· Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 😂🐙
1,256 Posts
FYI……make sure the throttle is adjusted properly. Many of the bikes I have checked the throttle and there is usually way too much play. I always check my bikes and make sure there is NO PLAY in the throttle. Can’t do power wheelies with a loose throttle. 😎😎😎
Yup I do exactly that and even though I don't ride as much as I could I still check everything in a very regular basis.

With more seat time I'll have mastered many things in my riding again. 🤞🙏

· Registered
690 Posts
I agree, when feeding throttle on in a curve you don't want to feel any loose play. I'm riding a stock ecu 2019 Z400 and have a good modulation throttle hand. I can just instinctively feel the throttle "on off" engagement and operate it smoothly.

· Registered
18 Posts
The 23 n400 is very jerky in first second gears. I usually just pull in the clutch when letting off the throttle to smooth it out if I have to. I don’t think there’s any way around it, but it’s a small displacement sport bike that’s how it is.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. Think I might hold off on pulling the trigger until I know if the '23 can be remapped or not and if it smooths things out. Sounds like euro 5 compliance has meant the new ECU hasn't been cracked yet, as well as it having a different wiring harness.

· Registered
356 Posts
The 23 n400 is very jerky in first second gears. I usually just pull in the clutch when letting off the throttle to smooth it out if I have to. I don’t think there’s any way around it, but it’s a small displacement sport bike that’s how it is.
I have changed the exhaust, cut the air box, and have the Norton reflash and the bad drive ability is gone. After feeling the difference I would not own a Ninja or z400 in stock form. The difference is enough that it doesn’t feel like the same bike. No it didn’t double the horsepower but I didn’t expect it to but it did make me decide to keep the bike.

· Registered
18 Posts
I have changed the exhaust, cut the air box, and have the Norton reflash and the bad drive ability is gone. After feeling the difference I would not own a Ninja or z400 in stock form. The difference is enough that it doesn’t feel like the same bike. No it didn’t double the horsepower but I didn’t expect it to but it did make me decide to keep the bike.
I’ve just gotten used to it by now, no big deal for me. After second gear it’s not that bad if you roll off slowly. It’s good practice for slow maneuvering also to feather the clutch. My wrists do get a bit tired after awhile but whatever. It’s all part of learning each motorcycle differently. Love the 400 and don’t ever see myself upgrading, it’s got everything I need at a great price.

· Registered
356 Posts
I bought mine because my son thought he wanted to ride but decided he wasn’t going to be a motorcyclist. I decided to keep it a while and liked it but one day I left a business in a hurry and realized I didn’t strap my helmet. I reached up with my left hand and hit a small bump in the road at the same time. The bike started that jerky crap because I was in 1st gear and I almost dropped it before I got both hands on it again. That was the day I decided to do something to fix that issue or get rid of it. I realize everyone can’t spend the money or just haven’t felt the difference or just accept it as it is but I like being able to coast to a stop without pulling the clutch lever early or having the engine braking and jerk. Ride safe and often.

· Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, it’s a real thing on the 400’s. That’s the first thing I noticed when I went from a ‘21 Z400 to a ‘22 GSXS 750. Engine braking and accel is so much smoother and progressive on the 750. Was damned near like an on/off switch on the 400; I was either on the throttle or I was braking, and it wasn’t gentle with either.

· Director of Moderation
3,665 Posts
Thanks all. Think I might hold off on pulling the trigger until I know if the '23 can be remapped or not and if it smooths things out. Sounds like euro 5 compliance has meant the new ECU hasn't been cracked yet, as well as it having a different wiring harness.
It'll be available soon. We just had a 2023 in the shop to confirm that the ECU is different and I contacted Woolich to ask about it. They said they're working on it already and they'll have a harness for it soon but I didn't get an actual date. I'm guessing it's just a matter of weeks, but that's just a guess. Once they're available we will get one, and I'll have a 2023 model on the dyno, then release a flash for it as well.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
I never noticed the jerkiness on my 400, I pretty much put the full exhaust and after market air filter on right away AND had it dyno tuned before I rode it. My 1st real ride was on the track and it was super smooth and it continues too be super smooth. For those experiencing jerkiness, I highly recommend an ECU FLASH or dyno tune. Either should/will smooth that jerkiness out.

· Director of Moderation
3,665 Posts
It'll be available soon. We just had a 2023 in the shop to confirm that the ECU is different and I contacted Woolich to ask about it. They said they're working on it already and they'll have a harness for it soon but I didn't get an actual date. I'm guessing it's just a matter of weeks, but that's just a guess. Once they're available we will get one, and I'll have a 2023 model on the dyno, then release a flash for it as well.
Spoke a little bit too soon before re-checking the Woolich site. Bench harnesses are now available so these bikes can be flashed now. Quicker than I expected.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts