Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a Ninja 400 from a dealer and everything on the bike seemed fine but once I got onto the freeway, I wasn't able to go past 61mph and once it was at 6000 rpms, it would just sound like i was revving. The bike has no problem shifting into gears and does fine before hitting 6000 rpms. Not sure what the problem could be if anyone has had that problem or know a fix?

· Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 😂🐙
1,256 Posts
Yeah I would have but I got it close to when they closed
Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly.
Small percentage of bikes leave the dealership with improperly adjusted clutch causing slippage at higher rpm.
It won't hurt to check and good luck.

· Registered
2,018 Posts
I will 2nd, 3rd and 4th the comment........sounds like a slipping clutch. I bet they have it adjusted how they would adjust other bikes, but the 400 is not other bikes when it comes to adjusting the clutch. I do not even adjust the 400 to the recommended play the manual says.
If you have not took it back yet already, I would adjust the adjuster at the lever so its almost all the way in and you can wiggle the cable right at the adjuster without any tension, then take it for a ride.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will 2nd, 3rd and 4th the comment........sounds like a slipping clutch. I bet they have it adjusted how they would adjust other bikes, but the 400 is not other bikes when it comes to adjusting the clutch. I do not even adjust the 400 to the recommended play the manual says.
If you have not took it back yet already, I would adjust the adjuster at the lever so its almost all the way in and you can wiggle the cable right at the adjuster without any tension, then take it for a ride.
I’m taking it in today to get it checked out and I know when I picked it up they said they adjusted and did maintenance on it, so could be a possibility

· Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
787 Posts
Yup, your clutch is slipping -- and may be burnt now -- bring it back to the dealer and have them adjust it and see if it is still serviceable.

If you want you can add a bit of free play to the cable at the lever -- the lever should "flop" without pulling the cable for 2-3mm.

See picture here:Weird problems with high rpm | Ninja 400 Riders Forum

That assumes you don't have an (aftermarket) external cable spring.

· Director of Moderation
3,665 Posts
I would pull the throttle to get up to speed but once it hits 6100 it goes past but it’s getting no power
Your clutch is slipping. If it's reving high but not accelerating anymore, your clutch is slipping. Probably cable not adjusted properly. Easy fix, no need to take to the dealer for that. If it is adjusted right, then the plates are worn out and need to be replaced.

· Premium Member
Ninja 2022 400 ABS & 2003 Yamaha R6
159 Posts
Measure ur clutch an see if it’s around 2mm-2.5mm of free play, I had the same issue when I installed a full system exhaust. Idk how that messed up the engage but I def had to re-adjust my clutch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts