Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be taking 2 week vacation in September to the philippines visit my girlfriends extended family. I heard you need to keep your battery on a charger if you go this long away from your bike. Is this true? And if i do absolutely need one, what would you recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
lol no man, I have my old 300 in the back, crank her up every 3-4 weeks no problem
Agreed... Two weeks is really a none issue...! longer then that and you would want to trickle charge your battery, A great little charger goes by the brand name of Battery Tender... you install a small cord on the battery terminals and snake it up under the pylon seat, and just plug it in and leave - when you come back you unplug it and put your pilon seat back on and your good to go till next time... Fast and simple.

Battery Tender

·
Registered
764 Posts
Agreed... Two weeks is really a none issue...! longer then that and you would want to trickle charge your battery, A great little charger goes by the brand name of Battery Tender... you install a small cord on the battery terminals and snake it up under the pylon seat, and just plug it in and leave - when you come back you unplug it and put your pilon seat back on and your good to go till next time... Fast and simple.

Battery Tender
Nah mate dont need no charger either, if your battery just lets say "sh!t itself" you can get brand new batteries on ebay for 30$... but the chances of that happening are almost non existent

·
Registered
656 Posts
Nah mate dont need no charger either, if your battery just lets say "sh!t itself" you can get brand new batteries on ebay for 30$... but the chances of that happening are almost non existent
I agree with you that two weeks is a none issue. if it was a deep cycle battery or a Lithium Ion in the bike I wouldn't ever worry - but its not. So if its gunna sit for more than 2 weeks its much easer to keep it charged then have to order one on-line wait for it then install it, save on the environment too my good man..!

The cheap batteries in our bikes are designed to always be fully charged, if you let them sit and discharge - then you will loose total battery capacity ( Cold Cranking Amp ) in a relatively short time period, and no matter how much you ride your bike they will never fully recharge. I get it, there cheap but bad for the environment when you toss them in the trash cause I'm pretty sure your not going to be diligent and recycle them, this goes for me too..!

Right now its a huge problem in the world, we buy and make everything cheap, its service life is short and we just throw it away, unfortunately with batteries we are creating toxic wastelands when we just throw them away and not recycle them.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all! New guy here. From my experience, two weeks on the bike with no accessories plugged in should be no issue. I usually connect a maintainer once I store for a month or more. For me, using a maintainer is easier than finding out the battery was killed for some reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts