Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I think I read in another thread that the Ninja 300 rear sprockets are the same. Can someone here please confirm that before I order one?...
Good question, I bought a 38 tooth rear with a blank center that I drilled and bored to suit the N400 pattern.
I had a look through the part compatibility thread and someone mentioned that they 'thought' they were different. Nothing concrete though.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think I read in another thread that the Ninja 300 rear sprockets are the same. Can someone here please confirm that before I order one?...
Front and rear sprocket are the same for the 300 and 400.I'm using my aluminum 43 rear from my 300. I can confirm.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I found this one on EBay...

Decent price. I’ll give it a try...

Bicycle part Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part

·
Registered
25 Posts
38 tooth Rear sprocket

This may sound crazy, but I’m gonna try a 38 tooth Rear sprocket for lower rpms on the freeway. Will I get a check engine light or will my gear indicator be affected by this change?
I'm gonna get a 39 tooth because sprocketcalculator.com shows a 38 tooth at +7.9% vs +5.1% for the 39. I understand under +7% won't affect the gear indicator or check engine light.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
For the race last weekend I went back to the 14/43 I got a personal best with it. The 13/43 has a really good kick in the pants, but overall was slower for me. I'm going to buy a few more rear sprockets 44, 45, and test them with the 13/14 and see what's better for me on the tracks here.

The following tipp should be understood as from my technical experience and NOT everyone will or must agree.
On the race circuit a shorter gear ratio in most cases, but not always, is to be seen more as a disadvantage.
First a shorter gear ratio is good for accelerating but its not so for smooth decelerating since it makes decelerating 'harder' and therefore the bike more 'nervous' (most of the time it slows down too quick).
Second, on a longer straight the engine is running into the rev limiter too quick and so the high end speed is not possible.
Take this as info: Valentino Rossi, for example, renounces maximum power in favour of power development across the rpm range!
That's exactly what one needs to be fast: smooth power development across the rpm range.
The most important thing is that YOU and only YOU must feel comfortable with your bike and its setup, then you're able to ride in the fastest way and everything what others say is only valid for their own comfort of riding.
Good luck for your future races.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I received a front 13t Driven 520 sprocket and a stock sized Vortex 520 41t rear "Alloy" rear sprocket from vortex a few days ago along with a new chain and had it all installed a couple of days ago. Here's my thoughts on it so far.

13T front Driven 520 sprocket

The sprocket is definitely lighter than the stock 14t sprocket but at the same time carries a higher than standard strength, It comes in a black zinc semi-gloss finish which looks great and promises Performance and longevity all in one sprocket. Designed using there proprietary EST Technology I feel just by holding the stock sprocket and the Driven 520 sprocket in hand you can definitely tell that the driven sprocket is of a higher quality.

The ride with the 13t sprocket

Now this is where thing's get interesting. I feel going to the 13t front sprocket for a brand new rider is not the best idea, I say this because the throttle gets somewhat "twitchy" from being a linear power band to a "open it up in first and you could find yourself in trouble" Power band. With all that said I do feel its a much better option when compared to stock for all other rider groups. The difference is night and day and makes commuting around town such a pleasure "not that it wasnt before". I have also noted that the rpm difference is almost non existence, You would not be able to feel the difference in RPM from just physical feel, The only way to be sure you are at a higher RPM range is by marking your rpm at a certain speed and at a certain gear and then compare those figures to stock... Which I did. I find I usually ride around and commute in 3rd and 4th gear with the stock 14t sprocket, and with the 13t sprocket I do the exact same, though the bike is now 300rpm higher in those gears but its not noticeable at all. I highly recommend the sprocket for anyone wanting a little more grunt from there little 400 especially those who dont mind loosing around 10kph from there stop speed.

overall very happy, benefits definitely outweigh the negatives though as said before, Its not really recommended for brand new riders.

41t Vortex 520 aluminium rear Sprocket.

This was more of a weight saving change. weighing in at a tiny 280g its almost non existent. It comes in a variety of colors from green to black and all the colors of the rainbow including a stock looking silver, I find the sprocket looks very pleasing to the eye. Riding around after installing the sprocket I thought the new chain was throwing chain lube onto the rear tire which was causing me to loose traction as the bike felt like it was at some points sliding. But thinking about it I realised the ABS wasn't engaging, So that's when I came to the conclusion that it wasn't sliding at all, It was just the lower weight making the bike feel like its gliding on the rode at time as I had a similar feeling to riding a friends 959 Panigale last year who had carbon rims installed. Having put 300km in the last 2 days I haven't noticed any serious wear on the Allot sprocket though I do understand its still very early.

Overall I am very happy with the sprocket, Vortex has always been the go to company for me when changing to Alloy sprockets, But keep in mind that a aluminium sprocket wont last as long as a steel sprocket and I find this more to be the case on heavier bikes and with heavier riders, So my bike already having 12kgs of weight savings and myself weighing in at only 69kgs or 152lbs For this not to be a Problem. That being said the bike definitely feel's better in the turns/corners and will help a lot for you track guys out there.

Hey I know this is an old post, when you put a 13t in the front did your bike throw a code? I want to change my sprockets up but I cannot stand having an engine light on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey I know this is an old post, when you put a 13t in the front did your bike throw a code? I want to change my sprockets up but I cannot stand having an engine light on.
Let me know if you ever found an answer for this I see it has a 7.1% change with a threshold of 7% before it throws cell. So it's right on that line where it could go either way

·
Director of Moderation
2,725 Posts
Let me know if you ever found an answer for this I see it has a 7.1% change with a threshold of 7% before it throws cell. So it's right on that line where it could go either way
Flash your ECU and you won't have to worry about it. You can put whatever sprocket you want on.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts