Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received a front 13t Driven 520 sprocket and a stock sized Vortex 520 41t rear "Alloy" rear sprocket from vortex a few days ago along with a new chain and had it all installed a couple of days ago. Here's my thoughts on it so far.

13T front Driven 520 sprocket

The sprocket is definitely lighter than the stock 14t sprocket but at the same time carries a higher than standard strength, It comes in a black zinc semi-gloss finish which looks great and promises Performance and longevity all in one sprocket. Designed using there proprietary EST Technology I feel just by holding the stock sprocket and the Driven 520 sprocket in hand you can definitely tell that the driven sprocket is of a higher quality.

The ride with the 13t sprocket

Now this is where thing's get interesting. I feel going to the 13t front sprocket for a brand new rider is not the best idea, I say this because the throttle gets somewhat "twitchy" from being a linear power band to a "open it up in first and you could find yourself in trouble" Power band. With all that said I do feel its a much better option when compared to stock for all other rider groups. The difference is night and day and makes commuting around town such a pleasure "not that it wasnt before". I have also noted that the rpm difference is almost non existence, You would not be able to feel the difference in RPM from just physical feel, The only way to be sure you are at a higher RPM range is by marking your rpm at a certain speed and at a certain gear and then compare those figures to stock... Which I did. I find I usually ride around and commute in 3rd and 4th gear with the stock 14t sprocket, and with the 13t sprocket I do the exact same, though the bike is now 300rpm higher in those gears but its not noticeable at all. I highly recommend the sprocket for anyone wanting a little more grunt from there little 400 especially those who dont mind loosing around 10kph from there stop speed.

overall very happy, benefits definitely outweigh the negatives though as said before, Its not really recommended for brand new riders.

41t Vortex 520 aluminium rear Sprocket.

This was more of a weight saving change. weighing in at a tiny 280g its almost non existent. It comes in a variety of colors from green to black and all the colors of the rainbow including a stock looking silver, I find the sprocket looks very pleasing to the eye. Riding around after installing the sprocket I thought the new chain was throwing chain lube onto the rear tire which was causing me to loose traction as the bike felt like it was at some points sliding. But thinking about it I realised the ABS wasn't engaging, So that's when I came to the conclusion that it wasn't sliding at all, It was just the lower weight making the bike feel like its gliding on the rode at time as I had a similar feeling to riding a friends 959 Panigale last year who had carbon rims installed. Having put 300km in the last 2 days I haven't noticed any serious wear on the Allot sprocket though I do understand its still very early.

Overall I am very happy with the sprocket, Vortex has always been the go to company for me when changing to Alloy sprockets, But keep in mind that a aluminium sprocket wont last as long as a steel sprocket and I find this more to be the case on heavier bikes and with heavier riders, So my bike already having 12kgs of weight savings and myself weighing in at only 69kgs or 152lbs For this not to be a Problem. That being said the bike definitely feel's better in the turns/corners and will help a lot for you track guys out there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you done any new 0-60 runs since you got the new sprockets and if so what was the difference?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you done any new 0-60 runs since you got the new sprockets and if so what was the difference?
Have not really did any 0-60 runs since well I haven't ridden it much due to the weather here. Hopefully will be doing a review/guide on how to ECU flash the bike very soon which I highly recommended for this bike if changing the air flow at all "**** even stock is slightly lean" then after that I will do some 0-60 runs, Im thinking I can get it to around 4 seconds ? if you want that 3.8-3.9 go for a 13t front and a 43t rear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since we are on this topic, did anybody already try the 13/43?
In all my previous 600s i always did this -1 plus 2 -and i was wondering on the 400 if it is worth it to go up on the rear.
Def i'm thinking to do the 13f - but i would like to hear from you guys about the combo 13/43.
Tnk you i really appreciate.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since we are on this topic, did anybody already try the 13/43?
In all my previous 600s i always did this -1 plus 2 -and i was wondering on the 400 if it is worth it to go up on the rear.
Def i'm thinking to do the 13f - but i would like to hear from you guys about the combo 13/43.
Tnk you i really appreciate.
I have already done the -1 tooth up front and it gives the bike a much better pull that you really feel in first and second gear. I prefer how the 13 tooth sprocket makes the bike perform way better than the 14 did. I have a 43 tooth rear sprocket and chain that should be here by the end of the week. Excited to see how it wakes the low end up even more. I will chime in on the 13/43 setup once I get it all done and tested out. It may be early next week when I have time to get it done though, DEER SEASON opens this weekend :grin: I think emudshit has done the 13/43 to his now but haven't heard much if any on how it preformed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tnks CodyC to reply and share your opinion on this topic. I've already made up my mind 13\43 it is, i don't have to order the new chain since the bike right now on the odo reads only 400kms. However let us know about your opinion again when you receive the rear sprocket...oh yes Happy Hunting;-)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tnks CodyC to reply and share your opinion on this topic. I've already made up my mind 13\43 it is, i don't have to order the new chain since the bike right now on the odo reads only 400kms. However let us know about your opinion again when you receive the rear sprocket...oh yes Happy Hunting;-)
I have it at 13/43 and its perfect, do it :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's what i like to hear...tnks again mate. My list still growing....sprockets/full system/ woodcraft clip ons..boyohboy;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think will turn off the G indicator, but the speed indicator will be off about 10%

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not on this bike as the speed is taken from the rear wheel ABS sensor. This is why even the non ABS models have the slotted ring and sensor on the rear wheel.[/QUOTE

So the speed it will be still accurate? Good to know this is my first abs bike i guess i'm still an old school .lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not on this bike as the speed is taken from the rear wheel ABS sensor. This is why even the non ABS models have the slotted ring and sensor on the rear wheel.
Do you know if it also uses that sensor for ODO? Because I know if it was measuring it at the cam then it would throw it off

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Do you know if it also uses that sensor for ODO? Because I know if it was measuring it at the cam then it would throw it off
Not sure about the ODO. I've changed my gearing by just over 7% and speedo has the same error percentage as before.
On my CBR300 the speedo sensor ran off the transmission so when I changed my gearing I decreased my speedo error which was a bonus.
I need to do a run on a known length of road to check my ODO. Someone else on here who has changed their gearing may know.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
This may sound crazy, but I’m gonna try a 38 tooth Rear sprocket for lower rpms on the freeway. Will I get a check engine light or will my gear indicator be affected by this change?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
This may sound crazy, but I’m gonna try a 38 tooth Rear sprocket for lower rpms on the freeway. Will I get a check engine light or will my gear indicator be affected by this change?
Nothing crazy about that, this is exactly the gearing I'm running. Wait, maybe we are both crazy then :biggrin:

I got a CEL and associated gear indicator flashing after 800km of riding. then it went off again and then it came back on again... presently the light is off. The two come as a package. The CEL comes on because the gear position indicator sensor throws a wobbly hence the flashing - - in place of a single digit.

My thoughts on it: Get your bike geared the way you like it. You dont notice the light on after a while and if it really bugs you put a piece of tape over it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
For the race last weekend I went back to the 14/43 I got a personal best with it. The 13/43 has a really good kick in the pants, but overall was slower for me. I'm going to buy a few more rear sprockets 44, 45, and test them with the 13/14 and see what's better for me on the tracks here.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I think I read in another thread that the Ninja 300 rear sprockets are the same. Can someone here please confirm that before I order one?...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts