Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read Z400 doesn't have 12v outlet for accessories like Ninja 400.

Anyone installed 12v accessories (ie usb charger, aux light) on Z400 that is not directly from battery?
Meaning it will be on when ignition switched on, and vice versa.

On my old bike, I tapped from horn cable which has it's own fuse. That way any issue only horn fuse will be blown.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a switched 4.73v bullet connector under the seat.
For my rizoma marker lights I used the license plate light feed, with bullet connectors already available from my moto-dynamics tidy tail install.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many accessories need 12v. Isn't license plate wiring shared relay with headlight to same fuse?

I'm looking for switched wire to tap that is not sharing fuse with essential wires like headlight or brake light.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dunno 'bout tapping into light wires, but the 1st thing I did was hook up an SAE connector for my heated jacket, Stop 'n Go mini air pump, Then you can get all kinds of SAE to USB wires. I have one for emergency phone charging, but never use it. I found those back up batteries work much better; l like THIS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
License plate light is shared with the brake/tail light. In my application the led marker lights draw a small amount of mA and do not negatively effect the circuit under full load.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have GPS holder with built-in USB charger. It won't overload existing fuse like heated grip/jacket.
Kinda suck Z400 doesn't have dedicated accessories plug like N400.

I'll try to tap on Turn Signal Relay Fuse to get switched power. Any short, only my turn signals won't work.
If that doesn't work, I have battery tender fused cable to my battery I can use but it won't be switched power (always on).

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea to do when I got my tidy tail to install!
I can use the tail light wire (switched power) to a relay that will draw power from battery (I'll reuse battery tender cable which has in-line fuse).

You could always instal a relay from a fused cable coming from the battery and operated by a wire from switched power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think this is the best way for Z400 to get switched power outlet.

Mind if you share the details of your install? Where did you get the relay and what kind? Also which wire you tap to get switched power?

Aquired and installed mini automotive relay like was suggested by atomic monkey. Fed switched power to sae connector mounted up front. Now have voltmeter and USB connection at my disposal.

·
Super Moderator
835 Posts
One quick thought. The alternator output seems pretty small, I think I would put in the back of my head to do a maintenance charge overnight every so often to keep the battery topped up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the relay lying around it is a standard 12 volt like a fan relay in an automotive fuse block. Automotive stores may have them very low amperage draw for the coil. Fused the relay coil at 1/4 amp from the taillight wire. That way there is no chance of losing talight. Also used frame ground instead of battery neg. On all connections. Usb/sae/voltage meter are fused at 5 Amos. They make a 'stripping quick splice' so you don't have to cut any factory wires

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wired up heated grips. I tapped the license plate wire to pull a relay. the relay pulls a direct feed from the battery live on ignition on. and if anything goes pearshaped, the worst is I lose my license plate light.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Yracy, tail light appears to be sharing with brake light fuse. that's why I don't want to share feed from licence plate wiring and ordered relay instead like you did.

For my tidy tail led licence plate light, I'll pull from switched 4.73v bullet connector under the seat like @manodidio did.

I think those are the best solutions for safe switched power (no drain from battery when ignition off):
1. Aux power = relay from battery using original license plate wire for switched power.
2. Aftermarket tidy tail led licence plate = Unused switched 4.73v bullet connector under the seat.

Thank you all for your help!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts