Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added these to break up the solid black.

I had ordered the large size only for the sides, but the guy sent two small size as well, so I decided to put one of the small size on the windscreen (I guess I can save the other for a taller windscreen should I decide to do that for the winter months). The kanji (which is "ninja" of course -- 忍 means "endurance / restraint / patience" and 者 means "person who does that") come written vertically, so I had to cut them up and place them side by side to do the writing on the fairing. The second character was written a little taller so there was a bit of eyeballing involved to get them to look OK for horizontal placement. The small size actually would fit very nicely vertically on the fairing, it turns out. But I wanted something to really break up the all black appearance, so went with the large size. These decals are reflective as well, for a little more visibility at night.

They were quite inexpensive too if you're in the U.S.: https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Kanji-Ninja-Sticker-Silver/dp/B00B7CSHNM and he makes them in different colors, e.g. yellow, green, black, white... If outside the U.S., there's a nice design from a Japanese vinyl decal designer called MiyabiGraphics which also has a large and small size (their own web site only shows large for some reason), though they don't have any reflective versions.

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
I too am looking for reflective decals to replace those awful stock reflectors. Only because I'm a night rider also. Nice decals by the way; paying homage.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
"Kiwi Rider" would be キーウィーライダー (note the small version of イ). If written vertically, the horizontal lines (vowel extenders) would go vertically and the placement of the small character would be slightly different, so be careful about that.

The smaller sticker of 忍者 which I put on my windscreen actually would fit very nicely behind the turn signals written vertically, if you want something a bit more subtle.

Other possibilities include a few vinyl designs I've seen of an actual ninja (both cartoony and more traditional poses), though I only ever found those in black, so they were not an option on a black bike. Maybe check with the makers of those. The stylized kanji from MiyabiGraphics in Japan that I linked to above are pretty cool too and have two sizes available.

Perhaps a simple shuriken on the side would be cool. This one is available in different colours, and just over 10 cm by 10 cm so should fit on the fairing just fine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHURIKEN-THROWING-STAR-NINJA-GRAPHIC-DECAL-STICKER-CAR-WALL-DESIGN-6/401551149530https://www.etsy.com/listing/604797948/throwing-star-5-vinyl-decal-sticker

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
"Kiwi Rider" would be キーウィーライダー (note the small version of イ). If written vertically, the horizontal lines (vowel extenders) would go vertically and the placement of the small character would be slightly different, so be careful about that.

The smaller sticker of 忍者 which I put on my windscreen actually would fit very nicely behind the turn signals written vertically, if you want something a bit more subtle.

Other possibilities include a few vinyl designs I've seen of an actual ninja (both cartoony and more traditional poses), though I only ever found those in black, so they were not an option on a black bike. Maybe check with the makers of those. The stylized kanji from MiyabiGraphics in Japan that I linked to above are pretty cool too and have two sizes available.

Perhaps a simple shuriken on the side would be cool. This one is available in different colours, and just over 10 cm by 10 cm so should fit on the fairing just fine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHURIKEN-THROWING-STAR-NINJA-GRAPHIC-DECAL-STICKER-CAR-WALL-DESIGN-6/401551149530https://www.etsy.com/listing/604797948/throwing-star-5-vinyl-decal-sticker
Thank you for taking the time to translate. I would need a bigger fairing for all that!
Have ordered some off ebay like yours and will probably only use the right hand symbol. Cheers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No time at all; I just type it and it's there. Studied Japanese 28 years ago.

The right-side character by itself would just mean "person" though would be the wrong character to use for "person" by itself. It's specifically used as a suffix for a person who does whatever comes before it. Basically for words that describe a type of person, e.g. doctor, politician, liar, etc.

The left-side character by itself would refer to a type of fern or could be someone's name (it's used as some girls' names, pronounced Azumi, Shino or Shinobu).

If you want ninja, you gotta write ninja with both characters. But as I said, the small version he sends out would fit nicely on the fairing for something a little more subtle than what I did with the large version.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
So I just stuck the right hand (unspecified person) symbol on both sides of my bike today and I'm mostly happy with the look. Your average Kiwi can't read Japanese so I'm not bothered that it makes no sense.

Still mulling it over and open to other opinions. Be brutally honest, I dont mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think it Screams:

'Rice Burner'
But I'm more than OK with that. Personally, I've always preferred burned rice. I like it better than the two symbols together.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I think it Screams:

'Rice Burner'
But I'm more than OK with that. Personally, I've always preferred burned rice. I like it better than the two symbols together.
Yep, fried rice tops fresh rice every time :grin:
The other day when I was asking a supplier how he was getting on with an order of mine he replied "All over it like white on rice." Hadn't heard that one before.
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
744 Posts
Kiwi, is it the reflective version? The character looks like a ninja with his sword sheathed on his back.

Adds safety and appeal. I like it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still think you'd have been better off using the first character, as that is the core of what a ninja is -- to endure (even if on its own it's not in a positive way). That one actually DOES have the radical for "blade" in it (the top part; the bottom part means "heart"). What you have is just a girl's name.

But at least it does break up the solid black, which was the whole point of me getting the kanji in the first place. I wish I had angled them a bit lower in retrospect to separate them from the lone silver piece of bodywork a bit more, but it's all right.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I still think you'd have been better off using the first character, as that is the core of what a ninja is -- to endure (even if on its own it's not in a positive way). That one actually DOES have the radical for "blade" in it (the top part; the bottom part means "heart"). What you have is just a girl's name.

But at least it does break up the solid black, which was the whole point of me getting the kanji in the first place. I wish I had angled them a bit lower in retrospect to separate them from the lone silver piece of bodywork a bit more, but it's all right.
Lmao! I'm not bothered though, 99.9% of people here in NZ will have no idea what it says.
Like you said, it was more about adding some interest to the side panel in lieu of a big 400 decal like on the KRT.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nothing wrong with having "Just a girl's name" on the 400 Kiwi.. Ana Carrasco has put this 400 into the fame category already :)
I think it looks nice on both bikes.. good idea... but now I am hungry for some shrimp fried rice....sigh..

Reactions: Kiwi Rider
1 - 16 of 16 Posts